HELP! i'm in a rut. help me choose some new music!
Feb 6, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #46 of 57
B000002GA9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Feb 9, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #47 of 57
I can remember when this came out, and we had it in our house. In my dreams that woman appeared many times, but she always was wearing whipped cream!

AHH!!!!

She still looks great.

Feb 9, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #48 of 57
I haven't even read through the entirety of this thread, so I apologize if this was already mentioned. I don't know that you'll go ape over it, but I do recommend trying out Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions; they have an album out called _Bavarian Fruit Bread_, and I like it.

Feb 9, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #49 of 57
rlaskey,
i heard about that one on npr. sounded interesting, i may have to check it out. thanks.

um, pass the whipped cream please!
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
actually, it's shaving creme.

No, in my mind, it's whipped cream. (covers mouth, licks the last little bit from his nose and chin...and no, not the elbow, although there was some there earlier)

Feb 9, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #52 of 57
Rusted Root - When I Woke; Excellent, Kind of a tribal feel?

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will the Circle.... Vol.2;I am not a country fan,
But I love this one.

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms; My all time favorite
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #54 of 57
I figure you have enough music recommendations to last a lifetime, but I think that you have pretty similar tastes to me, so I will chime in. If you like stereolab, you probably like laid-back electronic rhythms. Check out tortoise. No vocals, but they do not need it. They are phenomenal...especially the album TNT. I would also recommend The Sea and Cake for a relaxed sound with very good music. MacDEF says Nick Drake...and as usual, he is completely correct. Demetrio has Sigur Ros, which is another fabulous recommendation. Check out those four, and you will be set. Email me or PM me if you want more advice, or have questions.
Stu

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I figure you have enough music recommendations to last a lifetime, but I think that you have pretty similar tastes to me, so I will chime in. If you like stereolab, you probably like laid-back electronic rhythms. Check out tortoise. No vocals, but they do not need it. They are phenomenal...especially the album TNT. I would also recommend The Sea and Cake for a relaxed sound with very good music. MacDEF says Nick Drake...and as usual, he is completely correct. Demetrio has Sigur Ros, which is another fabulous recommendation. Check out those four, and you will be set. Email me or PM me if you want more advice, or have questions.

Yeah, enough music for a lifetime indeed, but since you mentioned some instrumental stuff, this reminded me of another great one: CUL DE SAC... very especially the album Crashes To Light Minutes To It.

Feb 11, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #56 of 57
demetrio, stuartr, etc... adding to the list... thanks again everyone for helping me out! i've got some more serious auditioning to do.

Feb 16, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #57 of 57
I like indie pop and rock bands. Since alternative rock stations don't actually play alternative music anymore (it's just ordinary hard rock now) the best way I've found to find new music is to listen to MP3 radio stations on Shoutcast or Live365. Most display the song and band they're playing, just make a list of the ones you like.

Another place is web music magazines like Pitchfork Media, Nude as the News and babysue. Usually I'll find a song on an MP3 radio station and then go to one of these sites to check for albums and reviews.

Some of the bands I've found this way: Dismemberment Plan, Neutral Milk Hotel, Versus, Deathcab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, Barcelona, Magnetic Fields, Legendary Pink Dots, Sleater-Kenny, I could go on and on but you get the idea.

(HBZ)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back