Help! I need a scientist!
Apr 12, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #76 of 93
That comment has nothing to do with EMI.

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #78 of 93
Looks like the amp puts out some EMI which transmits along the pre-out RCA cables into the energizer and is amplified. Neither the amp or energizer are grounded which would have prevented the issue. Not good for anything sensitive.
I'm guessing a static buildup on my desk is causing the EMI to be conducted along the surface.

So, how do I ground an RCA cable?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #79 of 93
Get a new amp

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #81 of 93
So I grounded the amp and....no difference in hum. Only when I touch it it goes away.
AITA? (Am I the Antenna?) :smirk:

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #82 of 93
Electrostatic headphones are obviously very sensitive to their surroundings. I'm still having some trouble understanding exactly when and how the humming occurs though.

You said that it occurs when you unplug the headphones, and put the cord on the desk, or touch the cord to anything on the desk. But does this only happen when the amp or energizer or whatever is still turned on? Or does it happen even when all that other equipment is turned off?

And you say you can hear the hum when the headphones are also plugged into the amp or energizer or whatever. (Presumably this is also with those devices turned on.) But you can only hear the hum when the headphones are 1 cm from the amp. Is that right? And if so, why would you need to be using them so close to your other gear?

Clarifying all the circumstances of exactly when and how this humming occurs might possibly help a little more. (Or it might not.)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #83 of 93
If you were just talking about grounding, the output of the UPS is grounded as well as the wall outlets I plugged directly into.

Did you actually check to see if the grounds in the wall sockets are working though? Some building contractors like to take shortcuts. And won't even bother to connect them.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #85 of 93
Do you also have a different DAC that you can try in this setup?

The DAC/amp are the same unit. There is a separate energizer for the headphones. I'm getting another DAC today and will report back. I'm guessing the amp is just too powerful and puts out too much EMI for sensitive headphones. I had the same problem with several Violectric amps using Andromeda IEMs. Yeah, they're powerful, but for $1000+ you'd expect to not hear mains hum even with sensitive headphones.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #86 of 93
Do you really need to use a separate amp with E90?

Again, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, since I have no experience with e-stats. But I thought the E90 handled the amplification for your headphones? And I'm getting rather confused with all the different technology involved, ie energizers, transformers, amps and so on. :thinking:

If you are double-amping, then maybe that's why you're getting some extra mains hum?

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #87 of 93
Do you really need to use a separate amp with E90?

Again, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, since I have no experience with e-stats. But I thought the E90 handled the amplification for your headphones? And I'm getting rather confused with all the different technology involved, ie energizers, transformers, amps and so on. :thinking:

If you are double-amping, then maybe that's why you're getting some extra mains hum?
I'm just using the DAC portion.

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #88 of 93
I'm just using the DAC portion.

So you're using the preouts on the Sony TA-ZH1ES? And are those fixed line level, and do they bypass the volume control? Or are they variable?

Are you getting these components from a specific vendor, btw, like Crutchfield, or Sweetwater, or B&H, and have you tried contacting them about the issue, and to see if you're setting everything up right? Or have you contacted Sony techsup for the DAC, to see if they can help at all?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #89 of 93
Also does the E90 have it's own volume control, and is it designed for fixed -10 dBV consumer line level inputs? Or does it require a separate preamp to control the volume?

Assume I (and others here) are completely ignorant on all of this,... which frankly isn't far from the truth. :)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #90 of 93
Ok, so the E90 DOES have it's own volume controller. In fact it has two separate volume controls!... One for the right side, and one for the left side.

If it has a volume adjustment, then that probably means it's got its own preamp built in. And doesn't need a separate one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back