Help - I hate my system and need to fix something
Oct 28, 2011 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

El Bishop

New Head-Fier
Alright,

For years I've lived with my current system and I think I'm missing out.  The story: My main system was an NAD L-40 ("Music System") with low end B&W speakers and I loved it -- it was deep, musical and fun.  But I got upgrade fever and went out and bought (after many listening sessions) a new system: Mac mini (ALAC) --> Esoteric AZ-1 --> B&W 705's.  I thought I liked it at first but now think I don't.  The main complaint: it's just not fun, not musical and too detailed.  I now prefer listening to my old system (NAD) which is in my bedroom or to my iPhone--> Grado RS1s.  I need to fix my main system but don't want to spend a ton.  What are my options?

Perhaps:

1.  Trade in the AZ-1 (used to be $5K retail -- I paid $3K) for something warmer -- any suggestions as to what?  Does my Mac Mini have a decent DAC that I could just add an amp and not a dedicated or integrated DAC?

2. Can I add a different amp to my AZ-1 and just use it as a DAC -- perhaps a tube amp to warm it up? (ridiculous?)

Thanks for any suggestions,

EB

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Alternatively, you could invest into some acoustical treatment to dampen your room.
Room+speaker combination is always what matters most.

Or you could always use something like RoomEQWizard to correct adapt the speakers to your room.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Try one of: Jamo C803, Monopulse C, System Audio SA2K, Xavian 270 Evoluzione (in order of price and probably sound quality too). :)

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 7
I had the 705's also, they just didn't do it for me either... I say find new speakers as well.

@eugenius: you avitar makes me do a double take every time I see it. me like! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 7
Having heard an AZ-1 and 705s on more than a few occasions i'd suggest selling both. The AZ-1 is one of the most clinical and sterile sounding Class D amplifiers i've heard to date. The 705s have a rather uncouth tweeter too. It's no wonder they make an unhappy combination.

What is your budget and do you have any idea of which brands you'd like to try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back