HELP!! HD201 rattling due to broken driver or no amp??!
Dec 6, 2005 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

IronLion

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this problem. I just got a pair of HD201's for my girlfriend from Headroom and she told me that when she turns the music up, she hears a rattling noise that seems to coincide with the bass notes. This was especially apparent after she said she boosted the lowest bassnotes on the Windows Media Player EQ just a little bit. I have heard that hairs could cause this but because she got them today and they are brand new I don't suspect this. She is running the 201's unamped directly out of the headphone jack of a generic Dell desktop so I am guessing that the problem would be solved if I got her a mint amp or a CMOY, as it sounds to me like maybe the HD201 driver's are struggling for current for the bassnotes? The thing is I'm not sure if this is the case because I dont know if headphones like the 201 rattle when they're under-driven. I'm also worried that it could be due to a broken driver? Which do you think is more likely?

If it is in fact just a case of amp-age (or lack thereof), I'm not sure which way I should solve it. I would like her to have as good sound quality as possible for the price and, going the source-first way, like the idea of her having a soundcard with a decent amp in it so that she can bypass that crappy Dell headphone jack. Which soundcard (used maybe?) in the 70$ range would be a decent enough DAC and headphone amp for this purpose? I'd rather go this way than get her a mint or CMOY and just amp a crappy signal...

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 9
I've tried my 201 out of weak sources, but I've never encountered that before. Do you have a better source/amp of your own you could try them with? If not, contact either Senn or the people you bought them from about an RMA or return. And for that price, look for a rev 5.1, drives 201 without a problem, has great sq and is very simple to use for someone who isn't that technically or audio inclined

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Since the '201 is a bit of a current hog (24 ohms and not overly efficient), I'd assume the output opamp of the onboard sound chip runs out of steam, err, current and clips.
I'll second the Revo 5.1.

Dec 7, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 9
The WMP equaliser distorts, so the rattling could be due to her boosting certain frequencies.

Tell her to try bringing everything else down instead of boosting a specific bar. Maybe that might help her a little bit.

Dec 7, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 9
yes... I agree the WMP distorts.... and besides.... don't the HD201 distorts even with a little bass adjustments????

tell teh cans on a different source maybe hehe.

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Try different software player like winamp or foobar and use the EQ on those...might be better. I personally remember HD201 not responding well to bass boosting too. Some soundcards have bass boost options in the card's control panel also.

If your lady friend still wants more bass, she might be happier with HD202 etc.

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 9
Check it out of your PCDP unamped before you go and spend amp moneys. I have an HD201 and in my opinion it sounds fine out of my PCDP without an amp, given it doesn't have to contend with background noise. Also, I personally think that running them out of my receiver opens them up a little bit, but I don't recall a 'rattling'.

That 'attenuation of ambient sound' business in the ads just isn't...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back