Help! guitar center (don't shop here), cancelling my order after taking my money.
Dec 13, 2006 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

100+ Head-Fier
Yesterday, I bought a headphone from Guitar Center b&m, using price match to a website. Then, today, they called saying that they can't do the price match because it's a slightly different model (the only difference is the year it's made). Can they do this after they've taken my money yesterday? I have the receipt of my order. Why didn't they say no yesterday, instead of taking my money first then refusing to sell it.

Any inputs, appreciated.

I would strongly suggest everyone NOT to shop at guitar center. Ridiculously overpriced.

Dec 13, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 78
Of course they need to return your money if deal is cancelled, but why they cancelled it? What headphones you tried to price match?

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday, I bought a headphone from Guitar Center b&m, using price match to a website. Then, today, they called saying that they can't do the price match because it's a slightly different model (the only difference is the year it's made). Can they do this after they've taken my money yesterday? I have the receipt of my order. Why didn't they say no yesterday, instead of taking my money first then refusing to sell it.

Any inputs, appreciated.

I would strongly suggest everyone NOT to shop at guitar center. Ridiculously overpriced.

They should honor the sale if they were honest. I never shop at Guitar Center. There is no need to. They do not allow returns on IEMs and in the rate cases they do, the restocking fee is 15%. I do all my shopping online. I agree that they suck!

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course they need to return your money if deal is cancelled, but why they cancelled it? What headphones you tried to price match?

They are going to return my money, but my point is that they agree to sell it yesterday, that's why they charged my card and gave me a receipt. Why am I the one who's in a disadvantage position (time waste, have to wait 3-4 days or more for my money to come back) because they made a mistake?

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 78

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 78
LOL, now you get online and they have lost 100 customers one shot. Let that be a lesson. If I owned Guitar Center, I would have sold it to you even at my loss.

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are going to return my money, but my point is that they agree to sell it yesterday, that's why they charged my card and gave me a receipt. Why am I the one who's in a disadvantage position (time waste, have to wait 3-4 days or more for my money to come back) because they made a mistake?

But what headphone you tried to price match and with what? Different year model of Beyerdynamics like DT990 05 vs. DT990 03? If so, then they are right to cancel it, cuz they ARE different headphones and in different price range. Of course, if they care about their customers and reputation, they would let this one slip past and next time pay better attention on what product is going to get price matched with what. But they have right to cancel it.

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what headphone you tried to price match and with what? Different year model of Beyerdynamics like DT990 05 vs. DT990 03? If so, then they are right to cancel it, cuz they ARE different headphones and in different price range.

QFT

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 78
Does it honestly matter? It's obvious that the point of the original poster's discontent is not Guitar Center's refusal to accept the price match. His qualm is precisely aimed at Guitar Center's prompt approval of the price-match purchase--replete with due payment--and their later cancellation of their own word. Essentially, Guitar Center committed an egregious error: they lied to a consumer. They had said they would sell, took the money, but did not sell.

Honestly, why belabor a patent point? It's already obvious that stores have certain specific rights to deny a price-match, and it's not even the point. A poor business practice is the point.

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it honestly matter? It's obvious that the point of the original poster's discontent is not Guitar Center's refusal to accept the price match. His qualm is precisely aimed at Guitar Center's prompt approval of the price-match purchase--replete with due payment--and their later cancellation of their own word. Essentially, Guitar Center committed an egregious error: they lied to a consumer. They had said they would sell, took the money, but did not sell.

Honestly, why belabor a patent point? It's already obvious that stores have certain specific rights to deny a price-match, and it's not even the point. A poor business practice is the point.

Now i understand the point.

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 78
I tried to get my local GC to special order some 2005 beyers for me and they couldn't figure out the model # of them. I wasn't able to buy them. I've commented on my good experiences at GC and price matching, as with my recent purchase of my PreSonus Central Station where they matched an unadvertised price.They didn't have to do this but I've bought 3 headphones there already and I have a good contact there.

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 78
A deal is a deal is a deal. You have 2 lawyers as moderators on this forum. I'm very surprised(?) they have not participated on this thread to give some pro bono advice. Shame on them! Usually saying oops I made an error doesn't fly in Uniform Commercial Code. ...................considering the numerous favorable posts regarding Guitar Center stores working with a customer about pricing - this appears to be an issue with someone at that particular location. A complaint to management above the store level is indicated (stating within your complaint that failure to comply with the deal you WILL seek relief from the court system) Do it for future Head-Fi customers..................as someone (not a lawyer) who has had considerable retail background - this is NOT the way to handle a customer, particularly since the $ amount is so inconsequential to the store. I smell managerial incompetence.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 78
A deal is not a deal. The consumer protection act is full of ways out of a deal in a legal manner. Taking payment doesn't seal anything. If they refused to refund his money then there would be action to take but this is a clean transaction, no fault.

GC isn't worried about Head-Fi either. We don't mean much money wise to them and frankly most of the time we love GC. That's not going to change because 465 tried to get X from them below wholesale price and got turned down.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 78
3 points:
The store is located in San Francisco, USA
I notice you are Canadian and therefore most familiar with what happens in Canada.
Why do you say 465 was buying below wholesale? Nowhere does he state either the price, or the particular model of headphone - simply that they reneged on their contract to sell at the price stated on his receipt. Furthermore it does not matter what the price was, whether above or below wholesale - merchandise sells everyday throughout the world at below wholesale. Stores regularly choose to advertise merchandise at or below their wholesale cost. Your statement suggests you may be somehow employed by the organization that runs Guitar Center.
Furthermore, the matter of concern is NOT whether Guitar Center specifically cares about Head-Fi'ers or not. But, that future customers (eg. Head-Fi'ers in particular) receive more appropriate treatment. Personally, I have neither purchased anything from Guitar Center, nor ever been in one of their stores - and reading about this cavalier attutude toward customers, I don't see them as a possible source in my future.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #15 of 78
Guitar Center has competitive prices anyway and they are usually good at price matching or just giving you some sort of discount. And 465 still never gave any details of the deal. Guitar Center is probably just doing what any good business would do, not lose money. How many people have bought from there with no trouble? And how nice is it to run down to GC, grabs some Beyers or AKG's, try them out and then return them if you don't like them. 465 situation is one man, with one issue. I am sure people have had trouble with TTVJ, B&H, Headroom, ect... at some point and everyone still shops at these places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back