Help : Grado 225i w Cowon D2 ?
Aug 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #16 of 19
I+

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. So you were running your D2 into a full-sized tube amp, and it didn't change the sound at all?

First of all, the LD I+ is not a tube amp, it is a hybrid amplifier.

Second, I think it tamed the highs. Even so there are some reasons for me to believe I did not hear what I thought I did.

When I got my amp for first time I was excited. It was nice, looked good, was well built and it was my first amplifier. I had read all the comments on the forums about how big of a difference an amplifier made. I was kind of expecting some "wow" moment.

I set up everything. Connected headphones, turned on the amplifier, waited around 1-2 minutes for the valves to warm up, and put the headphones on.

The first song I used was a song I had been listening to every day for the past month. It had loads of "information". And I knew it well. Well, it just sounded the same to me. w/ or w/o amplifier there was no apparent difference. Damn, I thought, the amplifier with the tubes glowing looks great.
I have a dedicated volume control for my headphones and it gives me heat (I got it in winter). But I spent "X" money on it and it still sounds the same to me.

SO what is the problem then? The headphones had at that time 150hours +. With my physics and electronics knowledge I couldn't accept that some op-amp or the PCB had to "burn in". It has no sense.

Back then i decided to give it some time, and try and "focus" on the differences. I did more reading on this forums, listened to more music with it. Found tracks that sounded sibilant on my PMP, and then tried them with the amp. For what you can gather in this forums, tube based amplifiers are supposed to give more warmth to the music, so I fooled myself into thinking that it had to be that way for my headphones as well. (I had to justify my purchase, after all the money came out of my pocket).

The same happened with different headphones, but I thought it would be nice to keep it. The LD I+ didn't change/improve SQ (mostly my head and the influence this forums gave me) with any other HP I tried with.

I recently saw some measurements on the LD I+ with different valves and op-amps. It has very good THD% (not audible at least in some cases -not being mine-), the FR stays flat in most cases... Well the info is around there somewhere.

(Found it here: RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison, and here: RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison)

This was the info I needed to know I had been forcing myself into thinking that it tamed highs, that it was all happening in my head, because even if there were a difference it was so subtle I had to believe it was there, and it was not worth the price.

Knowing that I preferred to keep the amplifier. It was nice, looked good and it gave me a dedicated volume control.

Hopefully soon I will buy the last things I need to make my own RMAA measurements. That to double check, more than anything.

You make your own conclusions about my experience.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #19 of 19
All right i am going monday at the store for purchasing the 225is....if you have other ideas befor monday please let me know guys....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back