Help! Gotta do a class presentation on headphones!
Nov 26, 2006 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

MarkKLC

Head-Fier
Haha this might be a dream come true for many headfiers...

For one of my uni classes I have to do a 10min presentation on any topic (they suggest doing a hobby), so I picked headphones!

I'm not really sure how I should go about it, so do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do and how to structure it? Basically the only requirements are a bridge (to "hook" them), clearly stated purpose, appropriate for audience, and closing.

The audience is 12 people (pharmacy students, 20-24 yrs old, probably all with iPod's). Should I talk about the various aspects like types, brands, etc. (I'm afraid this will be boring), or I can maybe make the whole presentation about trying to convert them from iBuds, etc
icon10.gif
It's really open-ended, and figured you guys would have some more ideas than me.

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 32
Are you sure you want to do it on headphones?
No offense, but 10 minutes on it might be slightly blunt..
Especially to the general public that *usually* doesn't care about it

But if you've made your decision and won't change it, bring your SR60 and PA2V2 with you and spread it around the room

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 32
I will start with introducing verious type of 'phone (open/close, IEMs, earbud...etc), than focusing on the usage of different type of headphone, why some are good in paticullar jobs...than i let them do an audition at the end to 'hook' them up
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

Should also bring your ER6i too.

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 32
Throw in this little beauty. If people spend $300 on an iPod, why do they use $5 iBuds?

Explain the weakest link in the chain theory.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could tie in speakers, that people think that spending thousands on a speaker rig is okay, but hundreds on a pair of cans is weird.

Similarly talk about what headphones can do better than top of the line speakers.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Throw in this little beauty. If people spend $300 on an iPod, why do they use $5 iBuds?

Explain the weakest link in the chain theory.

Actually that $300 goes into design, advertising, owning a piece of fashion culture, etc. Now if you were talking about thousand dollar CD players and amps with $5 iBuds, that would be something
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 32
Start your introduction with explaining audiophilia, and talk about how audiophiles are misrepresented as snobs, rather than music lovers...then segway into headphones and talk about why choose headphones over speakers.
icon10.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 32
if u go ahead with the presentation...i do hope u get a friend or someone to take a video of it and post it up on youtube....

i think this would be interesting to see... especially the reactions of the audience
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 32
Just remember that the trick to any informal presentation is to be enthusiastic.

I'm not sure that you picked the best of topics, but you can definitely make it work. A more general presentation based on audiophile stuff in general would probably be better though.

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually that $300 goes into design, advertising, owning a piece of fashion culture, etc. Now if you were talking about thousand dollar CD players and amps with $5 iBuds, that would be something
tongue.gif

So? Doesn't change the fact 300 is 60 times more than 5.

Its like wearing an expensive suit to work with some rubber beach sandals or putting some remoulded cheapo tyres on a Ferrari.

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if u go ahead with the presentation...i do hope u get a friend or someone to take a video of it and post it up on youtube....

i think this would be interesting to see... especially the reactions of the audience
biggrin.gif

Excellent idea! I really want to hear how this speech turns out.
icon10.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 32
You can borrow my halloween costume - which was an IPOD - and you can make your presentation as if you were an Ipod not wanting to have nasty cheap buds connected to you! You can talk about how good it feels to have good, clean headphones connected to you....

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can borrow my halloween costume - which was an IPOD - and you can make your presentation as if you were an Ipod not wanting to have nasty cheap buds connected to you! You can talk about how good it feels to have good, clean headphones connected to you....

That sounds scary...
plainface.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 32
give one of them iems and ask him/her to listen to music and make another one listen to normal ibuds for the whole thing...

then at the end ask them both questions and see if the one with iems could hear anything:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back