Help get my Xin Supermini closer to the Supermicro - opamp suggestion needed
Apr 17, 2008 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

webbie64

Headphoneus Supremus
So I finally got them both and invested in the time and opamps to roll the Supermini.

Currently have AD8397 (LR); AD8397(3&4); Bypassed Buffers

And it is very good. In fact, very very good. Sure, it needs bass boost and impedence but all together this gets it close, but still a step short of, the Supermicro (which just has that much more accurate representation of air, space, decay and atmosphere within the recording).

The supermicro reveals the layer that is still hiding important detail in this Supermini set up but, without that cross reference, this would be more than acceptable as a very very good, very very small, very very configurable portable amp.

The Super micro's strength is in revealing the higher end micro detail - it truly is incredible in that respect.

Now how do I get the Supermini to progress to that level? Is it possible? (ATM the Supermini is lacking that soundstage depth the Supermicro reveals)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I finally got them both and invested in the time and opamps to roll the Supermini.

Currently have AD8397 (LR); AD8397(3&4); Bypassed Buffers

And it is very good. In fact, very very good. Sure, it needs bass boost and impedence but all together this gets it close, but still a step short of, the Supermicro (which just has that much more accurate representation of air, space, decay and atmosphere within the recording).

The supermicro reveals the layer that is still hiding important detail in this Supermini set up but, without that cross reference, this would be more than acceptable as a very very good, very very small, very very configurable portable amp.

The Super micro's strength is in revealing the higher end micro detail - it truly is incredible in that respect.

Now how do I get the Supermini to progress to that level? Is it possible? (ATM the Supermini is lacking that soundstage depth the Supermicro reveals)

Thanks in advance for any help.

A while back vorlon1 and I tried many op-amps on a Supermini IV and got it close to a Supermicro IV. Do a search and you should find the post/thread.

I do recall that a good combo was the AD8616 in the 3/4 with the AD8656 in the L/R w/ bypassed buffers.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is a stupid question:

where do you get op amps? I did a google...but I confoosed.

I hope I don't disrupt this thread by answering this question. I apologize in advance if something does happen.

Digi-Key is a good source, and where I bought mine. I can't personally suggest any other places.

Edit: I'm sorry about bumping this ancient thread. I wasn't paying any attention to date stamps. My sincere apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back