Help from Grado Owners?
Sep 22, 2008 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stevie B

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm going to order some Grado SR-80's and I was wondering what would be a good portable amp to use with these headphones? My price range is between $100-$150 and the sources I'll be using will be a 16GB 4G Ipod Nano, 30GB Creative Zen Vision M, and a 2GB Sansa Clip (I use them all throughout the day). Oh, if it helps I listen to a little bit of everything but mostly R&B. I'm new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm going to order some Grado SR-80's and I was wondering what would be a good portable amp to use with these headphones? My price range is between $100-$150 and the sources I'll be using will be a 16GB 4G Ipod Nano, 30GB Creative Zen Vision M, and a 2GB Sansa Clip (I use them all throughout the day). Oh, if it helps I listen to a little bit of everything but mostly R&B. I'm new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

I've liked the pairing of my Grados with every Ray Samuels portable I have tried.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 9
You might want to ask in the headphone forum for impressions of other SR-80 users. I owned SR-80s a few years ago as my first Grados and my first pair of decent headphones. I sold them to fund the HF-1. I found the SR-80 did not need or benefit much from an amp, whereas the HF-1 really needs an amp to shine. The best way to tell would be to see if you can audition a moderately priced amp -- perhaps one owned by a friend, or by going to a local meet -- to see if you can hear a noticeable benefit from your sources.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd save my money and skip the amp as the improvement in SQ will be minimal IME.

Yeah, if it's for an SR80, then save the money; amps aren't going to bring out much more in them.

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 9
So it seems that amping the Grados would have very minor benefits. I think I created this thread a day too early because my budget just increased by a few hundred and I might get something better...so many possiblities now...lol! Thanks for all the help from everybody who responded!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back