Help from Chiarra users
Feb 24, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Hi DRuM !!

You say chiara I say chiarra tomato tomahtoe potata potato let's call the whole thing off
600smile.gif
Dunno where the additional "R" came from........ RR = Rolls Royce? maybe I was thinking that when I first called the Chiara a "chiarra"
confused.gif
I now name this ship ChiaRRa! hehe.

Give me a bell mate, we can have a good chat :)

All the best.

Mike.

LOL! Good to see you still have that sense of humour. I'll give you a call shortly. Take care mike.
580smile.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #32 of 46
Been listening to the Opa627's in the Chiara now for a couple of days, very nice, the sound is very different to the others I have tried but I still prefer the AD8620's.
The new coupling caps and output resistors should be here soon hopefully.
The teflon covered wire used for the signal made a worth while improvement

Feb 26, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by RichardH
Is that the wire you got from Quickie on PFM Ron? I got some too, but haven't tried it in anything yet....

Ooh! Teflon coated wire
tongue.gif
do you have a spare foot of this Richard?

Feb 26, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #35 of 46
If that's all you need, then yes. I only got a couple of metres, and want to do things to my Chiarra, PPA and preamp, but I'm sure I can spare a foot.
It's twin core with screen. Do you want me to pop some in the post?

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by RichardH
If that's all you need, then yes. I only got a couple of metres, and want to do things to my Chiarra, PPA and preamp, but I'm sure I can spare a foot.
It's twin core with screen. Do you want me to pop some in the post?

That's appreciated richard! Actually, 4 inches would be more than enough.

Anything I can post you?

Mike.

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #39 of 46
Hi guys

The wire I used was a bit left over from some interconnects I made but the stuff Quickie sent us should be also worth trying, I'm going to wire my Nac pre and NCC200 up with this, be warned though that silver usually sounds very revealing and may sound bright and thin depending on what cdp you use.
I noticed a difference straight away, its certainly staying in my Chiara, it sounds great with my modified Alpha5+.
Another thing I tried was the panasonic for Audio pot, after listening to this that Alps blue has to go
wink.gif

Richard,
If you plan on doing anymore mods to the Chiara I would recommend you compare it against your Nac, you may be surprised, I'm just waiting for some coupling caps and resistors I ordered to try aswell, once I get the signal paths sorted I'm going to work on the PSU

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by ron
Hi guys

The wire I used was a bit left over from some interconnects I made but the stuff Quickie sent us should be also worth trying, I'm going to wire my Nac pre and NCC200 up with this, be warned though that silver usually sounds very revealing and may sound bright and thin depending on what cdp you use.
I noticed a difference straight away, its certainly staying in my Chiara, it sounds great with my modified Alpha5+.
Another thing I tried was the panasonic for Audio pot, after listening to this that Alps blue has to go
wink.gif

Richard,
If you plan on doing anymore mods to the Chiara I would recommend you compare it against your Nac, you may be surprised, I'm just waiting for some coupling caps and resistors I ordered to try aswell, once I get the signal paths sorted I'm going to work on the PSU

Ron,

Where do you get your auricaps from in the UK? They may be worth a try. How are you modding your amp, did you start by first allowing the standard kit to burn in and then trying different components or are you just replacing everything from the start?

I'm sometimes wary about replacing parts of a design without having first listened to the design in its original guise....... how do you know "what" is making an improvement if you are replacing parts across the board? The OPA627 is "just" beginning to really open out now and it's been in my amp for over a month and probably still isn't fully burnt in. The Silmic caps are the same, they take ages before they come online fully.

You say the ALPS blue velvet has to go now you've listened to the Panasonic pot....... what was the difference?

I think I'm ready to try the auricaps now I'm satisfied that the opa627 and Silmics have made the amp sound better...... if it sounds better with the Auricaps then I know that they have made an improvement but if I had replaced the op amp, pot, caps etc. etc. all at once how would I know what improvements each component had made? If any.

I'm interested to hear the difference the Panasonic pot made :)

All the best.

Mike.

Feb 26, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #41 of 46
Hi Pinkie,

Where do you get your auricaps from in the UK?

I don't, my uncle is ordering some stuff from Michael percy in the US so I asked him to get me some Aricaps and Mills resistors, service does not seem to be to good though, a bit slow on replying to E-mails

They may be worth a try. How are you modding your amp, did you start by first allowing the standard kit to burn in and then trying different components or are you just replacing everything from the start?

I first built the kit as standard and lived with it for a couple of weeks, I have only just started doing some mods so I'll keep you updated, its a nice sounding unit as standard, the psu is the Chiara's weakest bit of circuit, those fixed regs are very noisy, its amazing what results you can get using better supplies,the rest of the mods will be down to personnel taste and getting it to match my source

I'm sometimes wary about replacing parts of a design without having first listened to the design in its original guise....... how do you know "what" is making an improvement if you are replacing parts across the board?

I have learned from mistakes in the past modding my other gear, my cdp took the longest to get to sound right, it now sounds very good and has blown many commercial players out of the water, the standard player sounds totally different,I don't just replace a lot of bits at once, it can be a long job but usually worth it, I find that some people seem to go around in circles when modding their own gear so you have to be careful

The OPA627 is "just" beginning to really open out now and it's been in my amp for over a month and probably still isn't fully burnt in. The Silmic caps are the same, they take ages before they come online fully.

I agree, most of my components have already been used before though in various amps etc, I like both the Silmics and OPA627's, I just prefer the AD8620, I'll compare them again once the psu has been sorted

You say the ALPS blue velvet has to go now you've listened to the Panasonic pot....... what was the difference?

I found the Panasonic to be more musical with my cdp but to be honest I have never liked the Alps pots including the Black

I think I'm ready to try the auricaps now I'm satisfied that the opa627 and Silmics have made the amp sound better...... if it sounds better with the Auricaps then I know that they have made an improvement but if I had replaced the op amp, pot, caps etc. etc. all at once how would I know what improvements each component had made? If any.

you don't, again you have to do things in stages which it sounds like you have, if something sounds good then thats fine, I think alot of stuff is down to personnel taste, I have also found that some so called audiophile parts can sound worse than the standard stuff

Well it sounds good to my ears, the Alps blue always seems to add something I don't like which some people do like

All the best.

Ron

Feb 26, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by ron
Hi Pinkie,

Where do you get your auricaps from in the UK?

I don't, my uncle is ordering some stuff from Michael percy in the US so I asked him to get me some Aricaps and Mills resistors, service does not seem to be to good though, a bit slow on replying to E-mails

They may be worth a try. How are you modding your amp, did you start by first allowing the standard kit to burn in and then trying different components or are you just replacing everything from the start?

I first built the kit as standard and lived with it for a couple of weeks, I have only just started doing some mods so I'll keep you updated, its a nice sounding unit as standard, the psu is the Chiara's weakest bit of circuit, those fixed regs are very noisy, its amazing what results you can get using better supplies,the rest of the mods will be down to personnel taste and getting it to match my source

I'm sometimes wary about replacing parts of a design without having first listened to the design in its original guise....... how do you know "what" is making an improvement if you are replacing parts across the board?

I have learned from mistakes in the past modding my other gear, my cdp took the longest to get to sound right, it now sounds very good and has blown many commercial players out of the water, the standard player sounds totally different,I don't just replace a lot of bits at once, it can be a long job but usually worth it, I find that some people seem to go around in circles when modding their own gear so you have to be careful

The OPA627 is "just" beginning to really open out now and it's been in my amp for over a month and probably still isn't fully burnt in. The Silmic caps are the same, they take ages before they come online fully.

I agree, most of my components have already been used before though in various amps etc, I like both the Silmics and OPA627's, I just prefer the AD8620, I'll compare them again once the psu has been sorted

I found the Panasonic to be more musical with my cdp but to be honest I have never liked the Alps pots including the Black

you don't, again you have to do things in stages which it sounds like you have, if something sounds good then thats fine, I think alot of stuff is down to personnel taste, I have also found that some so called audiophile parts can sound worse than the standard stuff

Well it sounds good to my ears, the Alps blue always seems to add something I don't like which some people do like

All the best.

Ron

Hi Ron,

The fixed regs...... are they "audibly" noisy or noisy when measured? If they are audibly noisy I must be as deaf as a post and, even if I could hear noise, I'd have to be superhuman to pinpoint them as the source of any noise.

I'm not being funny but I have to understand what you mean by noisy before contemplating trying different regulators?

Why is the PSU the weakest part of the circuit? The 15V seems very well regulated and measures pretty spot on.

It's fantastic that the Chiarra is now better represented in the DIY forums and it's great to be able to try out these new ideas...... I cannot wait for Bill Wilson's mods, I've got a feeling they will take the Chiarra to the MAX (Sewer Guy) He's been listening to his JLH with only one channel built up for quite some time now and is going to be connecting the other channel shortly as he feels the amp is worth it. Bills profile suggests we're in for some sonic fireworks.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...a&pagenumber=1

Mike.

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #43 of 46
Hi Pinkie,

The fixed regs...... are they "audibly" noisy or noisy when measured? If they are audibly noisy I must be as deaf as a post and, even if I could hear noise, I'd have to be superhuman to pinpoint them as the source of any noise.

They are noisy when measured, there is plenty of stuff on the net that can explain it better than me, all I care about is what gives the best musical results in my system, I want to get the Chiara as best as I can because I'm going to be using it as a pre-amp aswell if I can get it to sound better than my modded Nac

I'm not being funny but I have to understand what you mean by noisy before contemplating trying different regulators?

I think RichardH has tried some of ALW super regs with his Nac pre, he should be able to tell you what difference these made, I also powered the audioboard in my cdp with a pair of these I borrowed from John & Jake so I know what they do to the sound, the only thing with these is that it makes the Chiara's psu pcb redundant, if your happy with the 7815/7915 then thats fine

Why is the PSU the weakest part of the circuit? The 15V seems very well regulated and measures pretty spot on.

Well I have modded things before that use fixed regulators, I don't know anybody who prefers the sound of these compared to even the adjustable types like standard LM317/LM337, I'm not saying the Chiaras is bad, for the money its excellent value, all I mean't was that it can be improved upon just like the standard op-amps etc

It's fantastic that the Chiarra is now better represented in the DIY forums and it's great to be able to try out these new ideas...... I cannot wait for Bill Wilson's mods, I've got a feeling they will take the Chiarra to the MAX (Sewer Guy) He's been listening to his JLH with only one channel built up for quite some time now and is going to be connecting the other channel shortly as he feels the amp is worth it. Bills profile suggests we're in for some sonic fireworks.

Yes, I agree, its a great value unit and allows us to improve it further, at least it sounds good as a standard unit and I'm sure this would be good enough for alot of people, the original JLH looks very interesting

Ron

Feb 27, 2004 at 11:40 AM Post #44 of 46
Originally posted by ron
Quote:

Hi Pinkie,

They are noisy when measured, there is plenty of stuff on the net that can explain it better than me, all I care about is what gives the best musical results in my system, I want to get the Chiara as best as I can because I'm going to be using it as a pre-amp aswell if I can get it to sound better than my modded Nac

I think RichardH has tried some of ALW super regs with his Nac pre, he should be able to tell you what difference these made, I also powered the audioboard in my cdp with a pair of these I borrowed from John & Jake so I know what they do to the sound, the only thing with these is that it makes the Chiara's psu pcb redundant, if your happy with the 7815/7915 then thats fine

Well I have modded things before that use fixed regulators, I don't know anybody who prefers the sound of these compared to even the adjustable types like standard LM317/LM337, I'm not saying the Chiaras is bad, for the money its excellent value, all I mean't was that it can be improved upon just like the standard op-amps etc

Yes, I agree, its a great value unit and allows us to improve it further, at least it sounds good as a standard unit and I'm sure this would be good enough for alot of people, the original JLH looks very interesting

Ron

Cheers Ron :) I'm off to source some auricaps for starters :))

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #45 of 46
Hi Richard.

The cable arrived this morning many thanks!! Are the conductors solid silver? they sure do look it
biggrin.gif

I ordered a couple of ansar 2.2uF "supersound" caps from cricklewood so they should be here next week http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com £3 each seems pretty reasonable to me?

I'll fit the teflon coated cable later on so I can listen to it before fitting the ANSAR caps next week. If they make an improvement similar to the improvement the Silmic caps made then I'll be very happy.

Will report back in due course
smily_headphones1.gif

All the best.

Mike.

PS. how is the PPA coming on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back