Help from Chiarra users
Feb 11, 2004 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

sveli

New Head-Fier
I'm very interested in the Chiarra kit and I like to have some feedback from you Chiarra users.

* What op amp do you prefer?

* What upgrades have you done?

* What upgrades are essential (caps, PS diodes, etc)?

* Is it worth building an own PS with 317/337, fast recovery diodes, etc?

Will be feeding the amp from a Benchmark DAC-1 and listen to a pair of HD650.

Best Regards /Sven

Feb 11, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 46
I prefer the AD8620 op amp, but you must only supply it with +-12v, rather than the +-15v of the standard PSU.

Not done too many other upgrades at the moment, but I fancy trying some bulk foil resistors in judicious places, as well as some polystyrene caps.

Definitely worth building your own PSU particularly if you have some experience - I found a straightforward 317/337 at least as good as the standard Andante supply, and once you start trying out different diodes (I like the MSR1560) as recifiers, you'll be away!

Feb 11, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 46
I have had very satisfactory results using a National LM 6172. It is
a dual chip that will operate on up to +- 18 vdc. It is very fast & does not add coloration of its own. The sound is very fluid with a wide soundstage.

Feb 12, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 46
I'm currently running 2 x OPA 627 BP's on a Browndog with absolutely fabulous results.... this is by far the best op amp I've heard to date and outperforms the AD823, opa2107, opa 2132, opa 2228, opa 2227, opa 2134, AD 712, opa2111 and opa2604 that I've tried in the Chiarra.

I've also fitted 2 x ELNA 470UF 63V and these sound so musical compared with the Panasonic FC's I had in originally.

Use some good quality shielded cable from RCA input to board and that should give you a superb sounding amp :)

Pinkie.

Feb 13, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

I'm currently running 2 x OPA 627 BP's on a Browndog with absolutely fabulous results.... this is by far the best op amp I've heard to date and outperforms the AD823, opa2107, opa 2132, opa 2228, opa 2227, opa 2134, AD 712, opa2111 and opa2604 that I've tried in the Chiarra.

Pinkie where did you source the OPA 627's on a browndog from?

Wordsworth

Feb 13, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by wordsworth
Pinkie where did you source the OPA 627's on a browndog from?

Wordsworth

Hi Wordsworth,

I sourced the browndog adaptor from tangent (About $5) and the opa 627 I had hanging about for quite some time, can't remember how I came by them
confused.gif

I know that RS components charge an absolute fortune for the 627's. Your opa 2107 is the closest to the 627 and is it worth spending a load more for the 627's to get a slight increase in quality? That's up to you :)

Pinkie.

Feb 13, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 46
the OPA627 does cost an absolute fortune wherever you go. Personally, if i'm in the market for one, try eBay because they sometimes go for a very good price there

g

Feb 14, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 46
Thanks for your replies!

There seems to be different opinions regarding op-amps! This should be fun, a lot to test!

Are there any other components, especially in the signal path, the benefit from an upgrade?

What are the small components surrounding the op-amp, caps?

I will probably go for an own built power supply. Maybe some fast-recovery diodes and exotic caps
biggrin.gif

Regards /Sven

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 46
Hi Sven,

Why not build the actual kit first..... have a listen to it and then see if you feel anything needs improved? who knows...... you may love it.

Pinkie.

Quote:

Originally posted by sveli
Thanks for your replies!

There seems to be different opinions regarding op-amps! This should be fun, a lot to test!

Are there any other components, especially in the signal path, the benefit from an upgrade?

What are the small components surrounding the op-amp, caps?

I will probably go for an own built power supply. Maybe some fast-recovery diodes and exotic caps
biggrin.gif

Regards /Sven

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 46
Hi Guys,

I built my Chiara about two weeks ago, nice sounding units for the money.

I currently am using 470uf Panasonic FC caps for decoupling, has anybody tried Silmics here in the Chiara? I have two spare and was thinking about trying them, I know they are supposed to have better specs than the Cerafine's but wondered if anybody actually compaired them in the Chiara
I would also like to replace the Alps blue pot with something better
The Op-amps I'm currently using are AD8620's

Ron

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by ron
Hi Guys,

I built my Chiara about two weeks ago, nice sounding units for the money.

I currently am using 470uf Panasonic FC caps for decoupling, has anybody tried Silmics here in the Chiara? I have two spare and was thinking about trying them, I know they are supposed to have better specs than the Cerafine's but wondered if anybody actually compaired them in the Chiara
I would also like to replace the Alps blue pot with something better
The Op-amps I'm currently using are AD8620's

Ron

Hi Ron,

I'm using 2 x 63V 470uF Silmics in the Chiarra and I must admit they are night and day compared to the FC's I was using before. I'm also using 2 x opa627BP on a Browndog which has also brought about a breath of fresh air to the proceedings.

All the best.

Pinkie.
I meant to add........ I also had 2 Cerafines in the circuit which sounded excellent but I feel the Silmics just have the edge.

Feb 16, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 46
Hi Richard, small world ain't it
biggrin.gif
just joined this forum today

Hi Pinkie
I'll get the Silmics soldered in then, I almost forgot I had these in my junk box, I also have a pair of 470uf Sanyo Oscon SG's I might try aswell.
I have a pair of unused OPA627's but they are not the smd types so I'll have to make a adaptor using a bit of vero board, my Chiara has two seperate psu's, one +/-12v and the other +/-15v.
This little amp is starting to sound rather good, I think the next thing to change is those nasty 2.2r wirewound resistors and the 2.2uf polycarbonate coupling caps
wink.gif

A mate at work has let me borrow his HD600's, I didn't like these at first but now I'm not sure, I'm either getting used to them or the Chiara is starting to burn in, either way its starting to sound nice, the Philips HP890's came today so I'll try these later

Ron

Feb 16, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 46
Well I now have the Silmics in the Chiara, you was right Pinkie, big difference, it now sounds more detailed and airy, more of everything but a bit too bright, it will be interesting to try the Opa627's, I'll try and get the mini boards made up in my lunch break at work in the morning

Ron

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by ron
Well I now have the Silmics in the Chiara, you was right Pinkie, big difference, it now sounds more detailed and airy, more of everything but a bit too bright, it will be interesting to try the Opa627's, I'll try and get the mini boards made up in my lunch break at work in the morning

Ron

Give the silmics a good 250 hours to burn in Ron, they get better and better. You can buy a Browndog adaptor from Tanget for $5 that converts 2 single channel amps to fit into a DIP8 socket...... if you can make one yourself even better!

Have you taken a picture of the under the bonnet ****? would be interesting to take a peek
tongue.gif

Pinkie.

Here's a pic of my under the bonnet ****....... note the sexy looking phallic ELNA Silmics and the two 627's coupled to the Browndog.... oops, steady on!
biggrin.gif

chiarra.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back