Help for newbie please
Jan 9, 2013 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bananaman1974

New Head-Fier
Hi All

Have been looking through these forums for a few weeks now and am loving the site.

Being a complete novice though, sometimes the terminology etc confuse me (easily done) so I thought i'd just ask...

Have just got a nice new iphone 5, and want to improve my listening pleasure.  Im not an audiophile, and listen to my music by the way of itunes match.

So im after some new in ears, I was thinking soundmagic E10, and some on ear or over ear for use at home, was thinking Panasonic RP-HTX7.  Mainly due to what hi fi recommendations. 

Do you think these are suitable for my listening or are there better out there for about the same price?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

If you're listening via iTunes only, I would say... give us a budget, and perhaps look for the most forgiving headphones you can, that can be driven from the iphone itself without need of a portable amplifier to keep cost down. I would not spend much for a mobile itunes based setup, maybe $200 at most in my opinion. But tell us what your'e willing to spend so we can recommend things in that range. Also, tell us what kind of sound you like (neutral, bassy, bright, etc).

Very best,

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi and thanks for the reply

I'm not wanting to spend too much, was thinking upto £50 for in ears and upto £100 for on/over ears ($75/$150)

I like the sound of the guitar strings to come through clearly , not rely a bass head but like it to not sound 'muffled'

Cheers

Www.facebook.com/gregholmes1974
Www.twitter.com/gregholmes1974

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 7
RP-HTX7 are great for the price, in-ear soundmagic PL50

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Hello! Can't speak for in-ear as I have little experience with those. For on/ear over-ear that will play well with your iPhone 5 that I would recommend to you are UE4000 with mic & remote. One of the best on-ear headphone I ever tried. If you don't need mic & remote, HD439 are excellent choice too.

HD439 has better build quality while UE4000 has more stylish design. Not saying UE4000 has bad build quality but it is around 20% less better compared to HD439. Fortunately, UE4000 comes with a pouch while HD439 don't. :)

HD439 offers better comfort as it has velour pads but UE4000 has better isolation with it's soft pleather/leather earpads. :)

As for sound. I can't tell which are better. HD439 has warm sound signature while UE4000 has detailed mids. You can hear even the finiest detail of a song with UE4000. Both has great clarity but UE4000 has better controlled bass. HD439 has wider soundstage. Both share the similar downside but in very different ways that is vocals/treble. UE4000 has "artifical" sound which is bad for vocals but good for instruments. HD439 has laid back vocals/treble.

Oh & my name for FB is Billson Chang & TechnoHeadphone for twitter. XD Welcome to Head-Fi & sorry about your wallet(just kidding) xD

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 7
Held off on the over ears for a week or 2, but received delivery of my soundmagic E10 today (cheap on amazon), spent lunchtime with them, and they sounded good. Very bassy but not in a bad way, slightly less muffled than my denon 510r.

It seems they should sound even better after a good burn in, so looking forward to that:)

Www.facebook.com/gregholmes1974
Www.twitter.com/gregholmes1974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back