Help for future college student
May 5, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #31 of 39
I would say that a used AKG K271mkII would be a good choice for a closed headphone under $150. They are not for everyone however, and many people have said that they lack bass. I think they have plenty of bass, and that they sound pretty great for the price. They are also very comfortable, durable, have good isolation, and the cord can be replaced easily. Congrats on Harvard! Going to an elite school is quite an achievement that not many people get the chance to appreciate.

May 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #32 of 39
Yes, the AKG are at the top of my list. I am looking at the K240mkII, K241mkII and the
K271mkII. The only thing about the 271 is it is $100 above my price range. My best price so far on this one is $269.
Do you know of a cheaper place.

May 5, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are thieves everywhere dude.

You will want some isolation, especially if your roommate has speakers.

I can't agree more on these two.

Just watch where you place your stuff and never let them out of your sight - especially your macbook/ipod etc... Make sure you talk to your room mate about locking the door when you guys are out.

May 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #34 of 39
If you look at headphones on Amazon, many are severely discounted, particularly Audio Technicas. My friend got a pair a ATH-AD700s for $100, $150 off msrp.

May 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #35 of 39
Since I am a pretty big beyer fan, I would say DT-770/80; however, I know many people out there would argue that my opinion would be horrible except for the most avid "bass-lovers" out there. I like the beyer house-sound so I think that the 770/80 are great for a lot of music.

Congratulations on graduating, full ride to college (lucky jerk), and for coming out. Wow, that's a lot for someone in their senior year. Hopefully your mother will come around.

Good luck,

Nylan

May 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look at headphones on Amazon, many are severely discounted, particularly Audio Technicas. My friend got a pair a ATH-AD700s for $100, $150 off msrp.

They always sell for that, Audio Technicas have ridiculously high MSRPs, and then it looks like you are getting a huge bargain.

To the OP, I got K271mkii barely used for $115 with a mogami cable included. Keep your eyes open in the for sale forum here, Audiogon, and ebay. Usually the people here take very good care of their headphones, so buying used isn't too risky, and you can get way more sound for your buck.

May 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #37 of 39
Well you talked me into it. I did find a good price and have ordered the AKG K271mkII.
All you guys, THANKS, for all your help and all the information. I got to get to class I am going to be late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 5, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #38 of 39
I want to express my THANKS to ALL you guys. You all have helped me a lot. I have to close this blog and get to class. Have a great day. Hope all your dreams come true. This week mine sure have.
JRB46

Cali141 I will be in touch

May 5, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I am a pretty big beyer fan, I would say DT-770/80; however, I know many people out there would argue that my opinion would be horrible except for the most avid "bass-lovers" out there. I like the beyer house-sound so I think that the 770/80 are great for a lot of music.

Congratulations on graduating, full ride to college (lucky jerk), and for coming out. Wow, that's a lot for someone in their senior year. Hopefully your mother will come around.

Good luck,

Nylan

Thanks for your information. Yes, I have been lucky this year, it took a lot of hard work over the last four to get where I am. I have a GREAT support system between my wonderful friends and teachers at school and my family (except for mom). I especially want to mention my Uncle/cousin with out him NONE of this would have happened. He has helped me since I was 5. There isn't a better person walking this earth, well maybe except for my father.
As for my mom she has hurt me deeply. She has not spoken or even looked at me for 10 days. I use to spend 1/2 the week at her house with my sister. NO longer she has changed the locks and put my stuff on the front lawn. So I am at my Dads house all the time now. I don't know if she will come around I kind of doubt it. She is dead against me and my partner being together.
I do forgive her for what she has said, but I can not forgive her for pulling financial support for my schooling. That would had completely ruined my future, my entire life. THANK GOD FOR MY UNCLE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back