help for classified purchase
Sep 30, 2022 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

iamcustomer

New Head-Fier
Recently, I purchased a DAP from classified. It the listing, it was mentioned "the original package are included." But the cable was not included.

The seller told me "I only included the original box and leather case in the package, as described in the listing. "

Is my understanding wrong? The original package does not include the cable?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 14
If it didn't include the original cable, I would have personally called it out in my listing. But I'm not the seller.

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 14
If it didn't include the original cable, I would have personally called it out in my listing. But I'm not the seller.
Exactly this ..

But op, if you were to open any sort of claims you probably wouldn't win on grounds of original cable not included, because technically seller is correct in saying only original box is included (if that was his exact wording in the listing)

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 14
To me, original packaging means everything that comes included when you purchase the item new, including all accessories.

Oct 1, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 14
To me, original packaging means everything that comes included when you purchase the item new, including all accessories.
This is where wording is everything, op stated only "original package", in this case technicalities are in the seller's favor. Again I do agree that seller should have clearly stated that original cable was not included, transparency is absolutely paramount especially with this private sales, so seller was certainly in the wrong here.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 14
IMO depends a lot on exact phrasing- if it were "includes original packaging", personally wouldn't assume that means all of the accessories, because packaging and accessories are fairly distinct categories.

However there might be other phrasings or word choice that could be more ambiguous. Throw in the complications of people having different primary languages or dialects (like the standard translation of the phrase in some languages might carry a sense closer to "whole package", which in my mind could indicate accessories too).

In my experience it's generally on the buyer to make sure to ask for clarification about their expectations before buying. A good seller should try to be as clear and explicit as they can (i.e. have a photo of everything being included), especially about deficiencies, but no seller can anticipate how every potential buyer might interpret their listing.

Although if it were a unique/proprietary accessory that the item needs to function, I think not mentioning it's absence would be negligence.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 14
Recently, I purchased a DAP from classified. It the listing, it was mentioned "the original package are included." But the cable was not included.

The seller told me "I only included the original box and leather case in the package, as described in the listing. "

Is my understanding wrong? The original package does not include the cable?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Packaging = original retail or whatever box and all packing material inside the box
Package = original retail or whatever box, all packaging material inside the box, all accessories

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 14
Thank you for your comment. Yes, that is what I thought.
You should check buyer feedback, date the member signed up, and if there is recent posting activity. And you should certainly verify everything about the deal before paying, and then only via regular PayPal and not "friends and family" as noted in the Classifieds section. As somebody said above, ask about everything you care about. The PMs can't be edited, so if something is misstated you will have a record.

Most of the guys with thousands of posts are known here. Guys who signed up in 2012 and posted 50 times in 2013 and then never again until they show up 10 years later to sell something might not really be a good choice to buy from.

(The above comments are general and not necessarily directed at you although I'm quoting your post)

There has been a rash of questionable ads from ghosts who suddenly reappear, so during this time extra caution is appropriate.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 14
Again I do agree that seller should have clearly stated that original cable was not included, transparency is absolutely paramount especially with this private sales, so seller was certainly in the wrong here.

In my experience it's generally on the buyer to make sure to ask for clarification about their expectations before buying. A good seller should try to be as clear and explicit as they can (i.e. have a photo of everything being included), especially about deficiencies, but no seller can anticipate how every potential buyer might interpret their listing.

Definitely with Raketen here. Ultimately it's on the buyer who should not make assumptions and inform himself thoroughly. Especially when buying secondhand stuff online.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 14
Although if it were a unique/proprietary accessory that the item needs to function, I think not mentioning it's absence would be negligence.
Absolutely this, especially since he mentioned it as stock cable for DAP which possibly has a proprietary connector (like walkman). Obviously in this instance a cable like that wouldn't be too expensive, but as a buyer I'd still like to know about it so I can order it separately at my leisure.

I can see both sides, buyer should do the due diligence and make sure everything is included, but seller should also make things very clear in the listing so as to eliminate any possible confusion. It is sometimes troublesome, how words are often so open to interpretation.

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 14
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. Yes, I agree that I should check before the payment. I trust too much my understanding. If it is "the original box" in the listing, I would double check. I assume "the original package" should include the accessories, at least the important ones, such as the stock cable.

A lot of helpful suggestions, very appreciated it.

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 14
Exactly this ..

But op, if you were to open any sort of claims you probably wouldn't win on grounds of original cable not included, because technically seller is correct in saying only original box is included (if that was his exact wording in the listing)
Thanks for your comments, the exact wording in the listing is "A leather case and the original package are included." If "the original box" is included in the listing, I would double check it.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for your comments, the exact wording in the listing is "A leather case and the original package are included." If "the original box" is included in the listing, I would double check it.
Not everybody speaks English well, even in America. From what you wrote, I understand he meant the packaging itself rather than everything in the original package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back