Help for an Overwhelmed Nub?
Dec 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yaztheblack

New Head-Fier
Hey, and thanks in advance if you read and comment!

Essentially, I'm looking to buy a nice pair of headphones; I listen to music on and off for about 13 hours a day; 8/9 hours at work, where I want to be able to hear people speak and/or the phone ring, but would like to drown out the ridiculous air conditioning. Two hours to/from work, on a train/bus. The entire time, I'll be using an iPhone or a pretty fail PC.

Music I listen to varies a little bit, but is mostly Metal/Rock (Tenacious D, Rage Against The Machine, Los Campesinos), with the odd Hip-hop track (MC Frontalot), and some softer stuff (Jonathan Coulton), or stuff I'm not really sure of the genre of (Fujiya & Miyagi) some occassional electro, and a touch of chiptune (Anamanaguchi).

About two years ago, I tried the Sennheiser HD205s. Loved them, but they were a bit bulky to carry around, a little uncomfortable (I wear glasses) if I had them on for very long, but most importantly, I ruined the cable in about a year (iirc). Since then (and before then), I've pretty much exclusively used the headphones that come with the iPhone/iPod/whatever I had at the time, replacing them when I broke them.

Essentially, I've figured since I'm destroying cables pretty regularly, I may as well relegate myself to cheap stuff. I then tried my colleague's (don't-kill-me-please) Bose QC15s and loved them. The NC works great in the office, the quality is much better than I'm used to, but most importantly, the cable detaches. As a Nub, this last part was a freaking revelation for me. Now I can justify much nicer headphones again!

So, as it stands my requirements are thus:
  • Detachable cable
  • Decent Noise Cancelling (or maybe good isolation*)
  • Comfort.
  • Sound quality.
  • Portable.
  • Optional in-line mic/iPhone controls (Noticed the QC15s offer an addon for this).

The * is because I'd prefer cancelling, as it gets rid of more of the sounds I want to than the ones I don't. Sound quality is last, because as I've mentioned, I'm used to crap, but the better the sound, the happier I'll be. I'm guessing you can't get IEMs with replacable cables, so I'm only really looking at cans. My eye's obviously on the QC15s for now, but I've seen alot of hate in Bose's direction, and I'm wondering if there's anything better on the market by the above priorities. I've had a quick read around, but haven't seen anything particularly conclusive.

Thanks very much for any help!
-Yaz

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 4
Audio-Technica has some foldable/portable noise-cancelling phones (like the ATH-ANC25) that have replaceable cables. I haven't listened to any of them though.

Have you considered in-ear monitors? That would take care of your need for isolation, portability, and glasses friendliness. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Audio-Technica has some foldable/portable noise-cancelling phones (like the ATH-ANC25) that have replaceable cables. I haven't listened to any of them though.

Have you considered in-ear monitors? That would take care of your need for isolation, portability, and glasses friendliness. 

IEMs would be good, but the replacable cable is the main thing, 'cos especially with IEMs, I ruin cables like nobody's business. Will check out A-T, though, thanks! Currently also considering Sennheiser PXC450, though they don't do any remotes afaik, and Dr Beats Studios, though they don't look very comfy...

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 4
Westones, UEs, and most of the Shures have detachable cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back