Help for a newbie to Sinatra
May 30, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #16 of 28
He has so many records that I doubt anyone knows them all. Most artists have a small section at the record store and his is an entire rack, its ridiculous. The Sands was my favorite because he did the songs he wanted to sing, He did "Fly Me To The Moon" in the correct key (According to him) and I agree. I also like it because you get to hear some dialogue and he is funny as hell. Also, having the Counte Basie Orchestra to back him up will beat out anything he did in the studio. This was also in the 60's when his music was fun, none of that dry crooner stuff from the 40's and 50's, every tune is good on this one, no skipping necessary. Thats just my take on it.

May 30, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbusuego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of my favorite
wink.gif

3576646295_4a67d7932e_o.jpg

This one looks good. I like Antonio as well.

May 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #19 of 28
For me there is no such thing as too much Sinatra.

The Capitol Years Boxed Set

Sinatra_Set.jpg

The Columbia Years Boxed Set

sinatra_col.jpg

Sinatra Vegas Boxed Set

sinatra_vegas.jpg

Some of my Sinatra Vinyl (about 2/3 of it, and nearly all of them are original pressings and not reissues)

sinatra_vinyl.jpg

Oh, and I nearly forgot the Sinatra vinyl boxed set from Mobile Fidelity of his Capitol Records output.

Sinatra_MFSL.jpg

I also have the big Reprise 20 CD suitcase boxed set, but I was too lazy to take it out of the closet to snap a picture of it.

--Jerome

May 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 28
LOL. Yeah, there's some music there to be sure. Probably one of the best deals I got in that lot was the three RCA double LPs of everything that Sinatra recorded with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. I got all three of those sets still sealed for something like $9 each. The MFSL boxed set was good deal too. I snagged it for $300 on eBay. Other than some minor wear on the box all of the vinyl and sleeves are like new.

--Jerome

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like it because you get to hear some dialogue and he is funny as hell.

Not all of his jokes went over well, but I agree that he had a great sense of humor. If anyone is thinking about starting out with a Sinatra boxed set then get the Vegas boxed set. You get four CDs that are cherry-picked from some of his best shows in Vegas:

Disc 1: The Sands, November 1961
Disc 2: The Sands, January - February 1966
Disc 3: Casesar's Palace, March 1982
Disc 4: The Golden Nugget, April 1987

Plus there is a bonus DVD of a show that was recorded at Caesar's Palace in May 1978. It was a special show to a national trade organization of American whiskey bottlers. There's one point in the show between songs where a few folks in the crowd start to yell "My Way." Frank fires back "Hey! I don't come to where you work and tell you what to do! I don't tell you how to put the whiskey in the bottles. I just drink it!" It was hilarious and the DVD alone makes having the Vegas boxed set very worthwhile. BTW...Frank later relented and sang "My Way."

--Jerome

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sinatraatsands.jpg

Seriously, do this one first. It will make you a fan for life.

This is my only Sinatra recording. Really love it a LOT! The recording of the voice is just incredible, front center with the band on the background... really nice. I think I'll get some more stuff based on this thread
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 28
Just thought I'd bump this great thread. I'm headed over to Amazon and will be ordering a ton of his albums. All your recommendations are much appreciated.

Here are the live albums I have. It's fascinating to listen to him live.

Amazon.com: Sinatra & Sextet: Live in Paris: Frank Sinatra: Music

Amazon.com: Live in Australia 1959: Frank Sinatra, Red Norvo Quintet: Music

The one from 1959 is a bit rough in the SQ department, but it still sounds great with plenty of detail. Listen with an analytical pair of headphones because it's a warmer recording.

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #26 of 28
I got hooked on his duet album when I was in high school a little over 10 years ago. That was a good gateway into his music, and it was "new" enough that it interested me more than my dad's Sinatra albums did at 15 years old. I now have a couple of his others, but after reading this thread, wow. I need to check out some of the ones I haven't heard!

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #27 of 28
Another two cd recommendations:

"The Best of Columbia years 1943-1952" box set,
"In the wee small hours"

I also love my MFSL box set. They usually go for a lot less than the Beatles and Stones MFSL boxes. You can find a mint set for around $600 I think. Considering there are 16 great records in a great package, it is not bad value for money at all.

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by xodeuce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got hooked on his duet album when I was in high school a little over 10 years ago. That was a good gateway into his music, and it was "new" enough that it interested me more than my dad's Sinatra albums did at 15 years old. I now have a couple of his others, but after reading this thread, wow. I need to check out some of the ones I haven't heard!

Any gateway to Frank is a good gateway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back