help for a n00b
May 1, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
What sony phone you have right now ?

well, im sure no one here would even touch the ones i have now with a really long stick.. theyre the Sony MDR-V100's... yeah, laughable by this forum's standards, i know
tongue.gif
... but thats why im making the move into something a bit more high end. its new to me, so i dont want to jump into something really expensive and over the top. but if i can get the best suited set for under $100, then i think thats a good place for me to start at this point
eggosmile.gif

May 1, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by meraj
well, im sure no one here would even touch the ones i have now with a really long stick.. theyre the Sony MDR-V100's... yeah, laughable by this forum's standards, i know
tongue.gif
... but thats why im making the move into something a bit more high end. its new to me, so i dont want to jump into something really expensive and over the top. but if i can get the best suited set for under $100, then i think thats a good place for me to start at this point
eggosmile.gif

Do you want to throw them just after first listening and first bass kick of the boss
icon10.gif
OR want to keep them ?

May 2, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #21 of 23
mdr-v6 is a very nice headphone for the price. I like the bass very much.
one thing to note: females vocals involving the "sssss" sound can be piercing depending on how sensitive your ears are. For me, even at moderate/normal (volume at 25% on my computer) listening levels, the "ssss" sounds are enough to bring some pain to my ears (keep in mind that i have very sensitive ears so this may not apply to you). Otherwise i find the treble to be very lively.

However, from what i've read about the a500, i'm sort of wishing that i had bought them instead (main problem being less portable and durable than v6).

May 2, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #22 of 23
for under $100 i would say get the Grado SR80's, great set of cans to start off with, however, upon hearing Grado's you're going to instantly want to upgrade to a higher model. SR80's probably won't give the bass that you are looking for though.

Some people have mentioned A500's, haven't heard them but the A900's are very nice, as a closed set of cans the bass is fairly decent as well.

Seems one of your priorities is construction/build, from what many people have said about the HD280's, the headband seems to be flimsy.

May 2, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #23 of 23
maybe this will help:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162741
I generally agree with what others have said about the Sony MDR-V6. I own and enjoy it. It does have nice bass and the sibilance (treble hiss) the others refer to. The Sony brand indeed doesn't give you a good reason to buy. The V700, for example, is very well known to break at the headband joint. It was the fad for DJs for a while to use them but you don't see them anymore (seemingly because they all broke
biggrin.gif
)

I saw that you like electronic music. I can relate, and I find I like the 7506 (V6) for reproducing those genres particularly. I use them to monitor my mixes when I spin drum & bass records. The Beyer DT-250 velour earpads are a nice improvement I'd recommend if you chose the V6s and wear them for hours, as the plether stocks can get a little hot&sticky feeling after a while. Having said that, I use the ones it came with as I find it easily bearable.

FWIW, I think the Koss KSC-75s and 35s are really hard to beat and compete with almost anything mentioned in this thread. They are also lightweight and might be a good choice for extended use as such. They are clip-on style, which some prefer over headband, while others seem bothered by it. I use KSC-35 with 75 earclips for a huge majority of my portable listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back