Help Finding the Sweet Spot: Amp/iPod Volume Settings
May 3, 2009 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
I want to know if there's a standard volume setting of an Amp, and an iPod/iPhone when using them together. As of right now, I've been putting the volume all the way up on the iPhone 3G, and adjusting my amp volume accordingly. Is this correct? I want that sweet spot where the sound is simply amazing. I'm guessing this answer varies, depending on the source and amp.

I'm using an iPhone 3G with lossless music and a C&C XO portable amp with a pair of AKG K702's, and a pair of Shure SE530's.

May 4, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 9
May 4, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not use a line-out dock (LOD) cable? Make sure you get one that is compatible with the iphone.

Or a Pocketdock:
SendStation - Products - PocketDock Line Out USB

Absolutely...I hear things from my Pocketdock that I simply miss using the headphone out from my ipods.

May 4, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 9
Trust the Hypnotoad. The Hypnotoad will not steer you wrong.

confused_face.gif

X3 for LOD.
HD6xx.gif

May 4, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 9
I appreciate that. Will get an LOD right away. This may sound stupid, but I see all kinds.. on ebay they're going for $43 to over $100! The cables seem to be a lot thicker. Is this going to make a huge noticeable difference in the sound? The pocket dock is more of a reasonable price.

May 4, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, volume all the way up and adjust with the amp.

I could be mistaken but I believe like most other digital devices, when you reduce volume you also reduce bitrate, so doing it in the analog domain of your amp is best.

no it does not reduce the bitrate, but it does try and perform a transform on the numbers that describe the audio signal and not all the operations (probably not many at all) divide accurately, so there are some glitches in the signal that means the signal is not ideal as it is at full volume where it is using whole numbers.

so basically 2x2 sometimes equals 5 and sometimes equals 3; you know what I mean?? thats obviously not to be taken literally, but I hope thats easy to understand. the analogue volume pot does not act on numbers, it acts on the waves that the numbers describe, which can be infinitely divided without leaving a remainder

clear as mud??
confused_face_2.gif

May 5, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 9
qusp, thanks for confusion. I am much obliged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back