Help finding the 'perfect' in ear monitor for the right price
Dec 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Music3nthusi3st

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am a long time viewer of head-fi and finally caved into registering. I ordered the shure se215's online, but have heard they are very low end. I listen to every genre from the fray to deadmau5. I am very passionate about music and am looking for in ears that do all genre's very well. I was thinking about getting thee Etymotics hf5's being online there like $100, but heard they dont do all genre's. My prefered price range is $200 and lower. A quality I must have is great vocals. Being I am a total n00b I am totally lost on which ones i would like most. Oh and im not doing any stage monitoring or anything, just a really strong love for listening to music to its fullest :) the best in ears i've owned so far is the klipsch image s4(no bass at all) Would also prefer a removable cable so I can use the IEM's to their fullest 

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 17
To say the klipsch s4 has no bass is pretty strange. Removable cables are overrated and often cause more problems if the socket is loose and can't always make a solid connection. I have been mostly using my SE215 for the past 6 months and enjoy them, and haven't had any problems with the cable sockets (others have). There are plenty of reviews on them, but you could also check out Vsonic GR07, JVC HA-FXT90, HiFiman's newest models, FA Tandem, Atrio MG5 (supposed to be the most bassy by far). 

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Hello all,

I am a long time viewer of head-fi and finally caved into registering. I ordered the shure se215's online, but have heard they are very low end. I listen to every genre from the fray to deadmau5. I am very passionate about music and am looking for in ears that do all genre's very well. I was thinking about getting thee Etymotics hf5's being online there like $100, but heard they dont do all genre's. My prefered price range is $200 and lower. A quality I must have is great vocals. Being I am a total n00b I am totally lost on which ones i would like most. Oh and im not doing any stage monitoring or anything, just a really strong love for listening to music to its fullest :) the best in ears i've owned so far is the klipsch image s4(no bass at all) Would also prefer a removable cable so I can use the IEM's to their fullest 

Ortofons will give you great vocals, but they are over your price range. I'd recommend the FXT90 as they can do all genres pretty well. But it is uncommon to think the S4 is lacking in bass. You may need some serious basshead IEMs then..

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 17
I know I'm becoming a fan boy of these but you can't go wrong with the TF 10's.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm the same way with the TF10's, as much as I like to recommend them lots of people get horrible fit which would not be a perfect IEM. Not to mention everyone hears them differently, they'd be excellent for Deadmau5 OP but might lack the lower mid end extension of male vocals in that range. In house music it really doesn't matter since you usually never find lower male vocals. Then you get the heavenly female vocals that are to die for. They aren't a bad choice though, I haven't found a real flaw in the sound sig accept that Levels and only Levels by Avicii is boring and unimpressive on them. Foster the People actually sounds really good if your into them. Really brings out the detail/makes the voices ever so smooth and accurate. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 17
Yea one more vote for the TF10s, out of all the IEMs I have heard they are arguably the most fun sounding one yet and if you do the flip flop mod fit will be less of an issue.
They are probably the best value considering they have a $400 MSRP but you can get them in mid to high 100s and are defintely top tier sounding

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 17
I will highly recommend the HF5 and it serve almost all genres music equaly well and vocals sounds great on HF5 due to the crisp, clear mids and extended highs with good bass response. The other IEMs like FXT90, Sony EX600 are also good for vocals and they sound crisp, clear with dynamic bass response.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 17
I have the HF5's to and they are very good but the bass is lacking with them even after some EQ adjustment (though you can get them sounding much better as far as bass goes with EQ'ing).

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 17
I find the HF5s to be technically superior to the TF10s but for musicality it's no competition. BTW try the Shure Olives with the HF5, adds a good amount of bass body to the HF5 which is really lacking...

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 17
If you already have the Shure's, the HF5 would compliment them well. And I agree, the HF5 destroys the TF10 in terms of technicality, speed and detail. But for general musical enjoyment the TF10 may be better.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 17
Thank you all for the quick replies :D I noticed some of the IEM's mentioned are single driver like hf5's do dual drivers or triple drivers have much of a sound difference than a single? Also wondering the difference between 'fun' sounding and analytical

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 17
The HF5's are analytical monsters in that they"re very detailed now thats not to say the TF10's aren't its just the Ety's have a very flat sound were nothing is enhanced.  The TF10's are very fun and musical and have a "V" shaped sound signature which means the highs and lows are a little more prominent than the slightly recessed mids.  Normally a single BA driver doesn't have as much bass as a dual or triple because of their size.  Really its just what kind of sound your looking for but the TF10 works well with every type of music imo, its a big jump up from the S4's which I also have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back