Help finding quality speakers for Asus Maximus VI Formula Onboard Sound
Feb 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 22
  I have an off topic question as well. Do you think it's worth converting audio into a different format? If so, can you give me some recommendations for what software to use? I have about 18,000 songs.

Changing the format of music audio files will not improve music audio files, you might even make them a little worse.
Changing higher quality music files to lower quality music files (to save space), like 256k file to a 128k file is ok.
Best way for making high quality music files is to start off with the audio CDs and make FLAC or ALAC (mac) audio files (or even 320K files).
320K audio files will take up less room then FLAC/ALAC and should sound almost a good as a FLAC or ALAC file.
Some people can not tell the difference between 320K and FLAC/ALAC.

You can buy high quality music files at the website HDtracks.com

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 22
Thanks I didn't want to waste my time converting a bunch of files for no reason. I didn't end up buying the 27" monitor you recommended. I raised my budget up for speakers to about $400-$450. I'm considering the JBL LSR308's as my pick. Do you think they're pretty good.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 22
  Thanks I didn't want to waste my time converting a bunch of files for no reason. I didn't end up buying the 27" monitor you recommended. I raised my budget up for speakers to about $400-$450. I'm considering the JBL LSR308's as my pick. Do you think they're pretty good.

My Yamakasi 27" DS270 arrived two days ago and I'm loving it. Small dot pitch so even with my 49 year old eyes can read the text at 2560X1440 and has great color and zero dead pixels.

I know zero about the JBL LSR308 speakers.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #19 of 22
Depending on how much you want bass, I would highly recommend getting a subwoofer. Buy decent studio monitors as suggested and then grab a subwoofer like the Dayton Audio Sub-1000 to help with sub-bass.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #20 of 22
  My Yamakasi 27" DS270 arrived two days ago and I'm loving it. Small dot pitch so even with my 49 year old eyes can read the text at 2560X1440 and has great color and zero dead pixels.

I know zero about the JBL LSR308 speakers.

Well do you have any more suggestions for speakers around the $450 area? I really like the Airmotiv's but they're hard to come by. I always like to compare products I plan on buying. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #21 of 22
Depending on how much you want bass, I would highly recommend getting a subwoofer. Buy decent studio monitors as suggested and then grab a subwoofer like the Dayton Audio Sub-1000 to help with sub-bass.

I live in the barracks and have people living all around me. I imagine the studio monitors will be enough for now, especially since I don't want people complaining and getting me in trouble. They don't have to be bass heavy, just a nice quality accurate bass at least. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #22 of 22
If you gave the money to spend, I would still recommend getting a small subwoofer, but you should definitely wait until you hear your monitors to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back