Help finding quality speakers for Asus Maximus VI Formula Onboard Sound
Jan 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

tdaniels903

New Head-Fier
I plan on buying my monitor in the next few weeks or so, but I need speakers to go along with it. I was going to buy some cheap speakers but I have the Asus Maximus VI Formula, which has a built in sound card, that I need to take advantage of. I've read that if you have a sound card and you don't use good speakers that you've pretty much wasted your money. I'm a noob when it comes to quality speakers  I've been looking into some speakers recently and my first reaction was to buy the Logitech Z623, but I don't know if that's going to work well with my Mobo for good quality. I've done some more research recently and I really like the Audioengine A5+. I really don't want to spend that much money, so I was wondering if anyone knew any speakers that would help me take advantage of my Mobo around the $200 price range. I'll even go out on the limb and possibly spend $250. I plan on using my computer for gaming, video editing, and listening to music. 

Is it also necessary to spend $400+ for good quality speakers? If so, what would you recommend?

Could I also get any recommendations for headset/headphones? I don't plan on buying those till around summer time, probably.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 22
  I plan on buying my monitor in the next few weeks or so, but I need speakers to go along with it. I was going to buy some cheap speakers but I have the Asus Maximus VI Formula, which has a built in sound card, that I need to take advantage of. I've read that if you have a sound card and you don't use good speakers that you've pretty much wasted your money. I'm a noob when it comes to quality speakers  I've been looking into some speakers recently and my first reaction was to buy the Logitech Z623, but I don't know if that's going to work well with my Mobo for good quality. I've done some more research recently and I really like the Audioengine A5+. I really don't want to spend that much money, so I was wondering if anyone knew any speakers that would help me take advantage of my Mobo around the $200 price range. I'll even go out on the limb and possibly spend $250. I plan on using my computer for gaming, video editing, and listening to music. 
Is it also necessary to spend $400+ for good quality speakers? If so, what would you recommend?
Could I also get any recommendations for headset/headphones? I don't plan on buying those till around summer time, probably.

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, $168
They seem to be rebranded M-Audio BX5 speakers.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2
I've been using them for a month, no regrets.

Check out the Yamakasi DS270 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitor.
Great prices on ebay.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 22
Thanks, they seem pretty nice. I'll definitely look into them. Is it truly necessary to buy $400+ speakers in order to get good quality. Like I said earlier I'm a noob, but I'm a noob in training 
smily_headphones1.gif
. I also found these headphones V-MODA Crossfade M-80. I personally like the way they look and I read good reviews. I'm hoping by the summer I can find a sale that I won't be able to resist. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 22
Emotiva Airmotiv 4 is on sale for $230 refurb (call them for the price)

For a headset, I wouldn't get one. Get something like the AKG K701 for gaming and get a clip-on mic.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 22
  Emotiva Airmotiv 4 is on sale for $230 refurb (call them for the price)

For a headset, I wouldn't get one. Get something like the AKG K701 for gaming and get a clip-on mic.

+1 No one could sneak up on me in CS with my Q701 :) They really give you a huge advantage!

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 22
That's right around my price range. I get paid this weekend so I'll be purchasing those speakers immediately. I have a roommate so do you guys think the K701/Q701 would be better for a person who's sharing his living space with someone else as oppose to the V-MODA M-80? 

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 22
  That's right around my price range. I get paid this weekend so I'll be purchasing those speakers immediately. I have a roommate so do you guys think the K701/Q701 would be better for a person who's sharing his living space with someone else as oppose to the V-MODA M-80? 

Depends. My roommate doesn't care and just puts his headphones in. They will definitely leak sound, so depends on how loud he is, as well as if he is easily annoyed.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 22
  If those Airmotiv 4/5 are out of stock, what would be your next suggestion?

For powered monitors in that range, the Monoprice speakers that Angel recommended are pretty nice.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 22

For powered monitors in that range, the Monoprice speakers that Angel recommended are pretty nice.

No bueno on the Airmotiv 4/5. They do have the 6's for $500 but they're kind of big and may be too excessive. I went ahead and just ordered my screen so I'll probably wait a couple of weeks to call again. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 22
There are a lot more folks on this site that can give you much better advice on headphones, but for desktop speakers from an onboard sound card, you may consider either the logitech z623, or if you really want some proper separation at a decent price, the corsair sp 2500.

Also, please note that while the onboard audio on the asus maximus vi is the best onboard available, it still pales in comparison to a proper sound card such as asus's own lineup the asus xonar essence st or stx.  However, onboard will work just fine with either of these computer speakers.  Happy hunting :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 22
  There are a lot more folks on this site that can give you much better advice on headphones, but for desktop speakers from an onboard sound card, you may consider either the logitech z623, or if you really want some proper separation at a decent price, the corsair sp 2500.

Also, please note that while the onboard audio on the asus maximus vi is the best onboard available, it still pales in comparison to a proper sound card such as asus's own lineup the asus xonar essence st or stx.  However, onboard will work just fine with either of these computer speakers.  Happy hunting :)

Well I like the fact that most people are able to keep these type of bookshelf speakers for several years so I rather have something I feel is more durable. I haven't really heard the same about those speakers you mentioned as far long term durability. As far as the onboard sound, I do plan on upgrading but just not now. Probably towards the end of this year I'll upgrade to an sound card or dac but I believe the onboard sound will be sufficient since I'm just now starting to get into this type of stuff (baby steps) lol. I'll probably just get an internal sound card (Really like the STX) since I live in a small room and don't want to have a cluster of wires everywhere. I just have to find the right time to pull the trigger or find the best deal I possibly can. As far as headphones goes, I'm just gathering suggestions but I will be starting another forum around the summertime for the sole purpose of headphones and what I'll use them for. Thanks for the advice.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #13 of 22
  Well I like the fact that most people are able to keep these type of bookshelf speakers for several years so I rather have something I feel is more durable. I haven't really heard the same about those speakers you mentioned as far long term durability. As far as the onboard sound, I do plan on upgrading but just not now. Probably towards the end of this year I'll upgrade to an sound card or dac but I believe the onboard sound will be sufficient since I'm just now starting to get into this type of stuff (baby steps) lol. I'll probably just get an internal sound card (Really like the STX) since I live in a small room and don't want to have a cluster of wires everywhere. I just have to find the right time to pull the trigger or find the best deal I possibly can. As far as headphones goes, I'm just gathering suggestions but I will be starting another forum around the summertime for the sole purpose of headphones and what I'll use them for. Thanks for the advice.

I doubt that you will notice a difference, and if you do it will probably be very slight between your onboard and the STX. Your onboard is very good, and actually onboard chips are getting very good in general.

But if you do end up getting it, try to do a blind ABX test with a friend, I would like to know the results.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 22
I stand corrected, the difference is minimal from your motherboard onboard to a card like the asus essence, I plum forgot about the supreme fx audio, most use realtek (garbage).  The supreme fx formula is rated to 120dB, which means minimal background noise even at higher volumes, whereas the stx is 124dB, only 4 higher.  That means it will power just about anything that the stx could.  Sound quality may have a slightly washed out sound on the onboard, as the supreme fx chipsets usually do, but it would be close enough that the stx would be a minor upgrade, especially at 189 dollars.  Best to save for a larger future upgrade.

As a side note, I can guarantee you that I could tell the difference :wink:

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 22
I have an off topic question as well. Do you think it's worth converting audio into a different format? If so, can you give me some recommendations for what software to use? I have about 18,000 songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back