Help finding new DAP
Aug 25, 2009 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jj94

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so as much as it pains me to say it, I honestly don't know how to choose a DAP. I've only had one DAP (an iPod), so I don't know what differences there are between various DAP's available today. I need a new one soon though, and so I would like to ask for help from the more experienced people here. I'm looking for a DAP that looks good, like an S9, decent storage capacity (at least 16GB), and with good SQ. I've read about players having their own sound signature too? I don't know how that works, but if there is, I'd like one that is a bit more bass heavy, but still relatively balance out. Thanks!

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 16
Well what features are you looking for in a DAP?

You can't really go wrong with Cowon, they sound great.

I've heard a lot of good things about the S9, but If you only want a DAP for audio playback you may want to consider something simpler (and cheaper).

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 16
Well, obviously audio playback, and then if the feature is there, I can see myself putting videos on it too. A good EQ would be nice. A small thing though, when I use the EQ from iTunes and my iPod, I can hear the distortions very obviously. It was sometimes obvious on my iPod with my old, cheaper IEM's, but now that I have some better Denon C710's I clearly hear everything on both the iPod and iTunes. I don't know if the EQ that I'm using is just bad or if all EQ's are like that. Hope not.
I honestly do not know. What other features are available?

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm surprised no one else answering you, where is everyone?

Anyway, I'm no expert on DAPs myself. I'd recommend going to Anything But iPod - MP3 Player Reviews & News to compare the S9 to other DAPs or ask the members there about it.

About equalizers, unfortunately most EQs on DAPs are only 5 bands so they aren't very useful to begin with. I would recommend using a custom equalizer and be conservative with what you boost or diminish rather than using the presets included because the presets are always rather extreme.

A Cowon player or something like one will sound a lot better than and ipod and you will probably be able to use a custom EQ without adding too much distortion.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 16
What's your price range?
What genres of music do you often listen to?
What 'phones do you own?
Is EQ customization important?
Is video playback a must? What screen size would be ideal for you?

We need a little more to help find you a good DAP/PMP.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 16
Oh, sorry I didn't list the more important stuff. My budget is around $250, but wouldn't mind too much paying a bit over that. I listen to a bit of everything, from K-pop to rap to alternative. I already said above, but I use Denon C710's at the moment. I would like the EQ to be an option for me to have, but it I don't "need" it. Video playback also isn't exactly a must, but hey, if I have it, I'll use it. Screen size isn't too much of a problem. I'm used to the itty bitty screen of the 2nd gen Nano, so I suppose anything will be good for me.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 16
The D2+ would a good choice I think, unless you don't want to carry around high-cap SDHC cards with you.

41P8WsIcdsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

[size=xx-small](Source: Amazon.com)[/size]

Right now, a 16 GB D2+ goes for about $153 (free s/h) on Amazon. There's a SD expansion slot that will let you pop in 32 GB SDHC cards for added storage. EQ is there and is user-adjustable. Battery life is impeccable at 50 hours for audio and 10 for video. SQ is great and the built-in amp can push out up to 74 mW of power (enough to drive most phones). Lastly, it's a 2.4" LCD resistive touchscreen (meaning you have to apply pressure in order for it to register a tap).

Since it has a customizable EQ, you can adjust the lower frequencies until your heart is content (or until your ears hurt).
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 16
You come to the correct audio club. the Headfier are very passion to offer you their experience. My humble suggestion are follows:
1, D2, S9 and most of the other DAPs have good sound quality. it seems those players focus on the VIDEO function and big memory. but the designing concept is some out of date.

2, Sony X series have better sound quality, for it enhance the buit in amplifier designing it largest memory is 32G.

3, HIFI MAN is 3 in 1 DAP wich combined with DAP/DAC/AMP. the price is very higher. it depends on your budget.

4, AMP3 focus only on sound quality, it is a hybrid PLAYER with DAP/amp/ hifi FM/ HIFI earphone (freebie). plus you can get 100 hours playing time rechargalbe and replaceable battery. AMP3 is cheapest one among the above metioned DAP OF $ 149.

AMP3 and Hifiman ,SONY X will be the trend of next generation DAP which focus on the AMP segment and sound quality. especially the "all in one" designing conception. that means you will no need to bundle your player with AMP and cable, it is a great advantage for convenience portable high quality music appreciation.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 16
Cowon D2+; seconded.

The Sony X series may have better sound quality, but it has limited codec support, a dodgy web browser and a fairly high price compared to competing models. Not around a $250 budget.

The HifiMan is obviously not around the OP's ~$250 budget and is slightly overkill for the 'phones he's using.

IMO, the Amp3 looks quite cool for a little player with big sound (like the Sansa Clip)...but the design is too boxy for my tastes. I'm not sure if the OP will like its looks, having specified a DAP that "looks good" like the Cowon S9.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 16
Wait until the new iPod touch and Zune HD comes out, they most likely will drive prices down on higher capacity players.

Oh, and it might not hurt to say that both have a reputation of sounding good.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 16
I found that the S9 had a wider, more realistic stage and sweeter sound than the x series - the sony was most impressive, very impactful at first listen but overall, I liked the sound of the s9 better. The sony UI does work better, but the S9 is much improved over my D2 and I dont find it a problem.

I do have some reservations about recommending the S9 because so many people have had problems with the 32 gig turning into a brick. I understand that the Cowon people are working on this problem and we may see a solution in a future firmware upgrade, but I worry about the reliability - I had two units brick using my mac. It seems that this problem does not occur (as much?) with windows.

Tech support has told me that they will fix my unit so it does not have this problem in the future and I hope that they are right - I really do like the s9.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 16
How does the D2, iPod Touch, and Zune compare to each other? And even though the new Touch and Zune aren't out yet, what do you think will be worth the most for what I get?

Barry, what do you mean by the 32GB S9 turning into a brick?

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 16
I mean that the unit does not turn on and is not recognized by my computer.

I am hopeful, almost confident that this will be fixed and so I am not too worried, but I thought that people should know so they can make an informed choice.

One more note on the sound. I thought that the S9 presents a more textured, more transparent window to the music. The sound was not as immersive as the Sony, but to me, more realistic. Don't get me wrong, the Sony is a terrific DAP and I preferred it to anything other than the S9. Others have the reverse view and I can't fault that perspective. It was a very close call for me.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #14 of 16
jj94, I'm currently burning in the C710 and they sound very good with the S9 using the Maestro preset. The X also has decent SQ though it will be outside of your budget if you're based in the US or Canada. The S9 is currently going for US$200 (16GB) and US$268 (32GB) on Amazon, while the X is US$291 (16GB) and US$388 (32GB). For K-pop, rap, and electronic genres, I would lean towards the S9 as it has more treble sparkle for a lively and engaging presentation to bust a move!
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #15 of 16
Barry;5965108 said:
I found that the S9 had a wider, more realistic stage and sweeter sound than the x series - the sony was most impressive, very impactful at first listen but overall, I liked the sound of the s9 better. The sony UI does work better, but the S9 is much improved over my D2 and I dont find it a problem.

You are a really audiophile since you can poit out this problem of SONY.

the sony was most impressive, very impactful at first listen [/COLOR]but overall, I liked the sound of the s9 better.

The good hifi player can be audient for long time. Sony, IPOD, Samsung can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back