Help Finding Good Noise Isolation Headphone
Sep 26, 2009 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

readbmr

New Head-Fier
Hi al, what im looking for is a over the ear full size headphone which has good bass and does not leak noise at say hi levels on a cowon d2 with or without an amp, i already have a pair of akg k81 and they in my opinion are awesum, ie lots of bass and can handle a fiio e5 amp with no problem at level 40 !! so if anybody can recommend anything under the 100pds mark i would be very greatful, also please tell me your views if you also have the d2 with some great headphones...there must be something out there that fits the bill as there are 1000s of headphones and hopefully will get it rite with help from you guys/gals...

Oh forgot to mention aswell as helping find the correct cans i was also thinking of buying the akg k181 headphones as i already have the k81 and was wondering do they leak noise at all at high volumes sitting next to somebody ? dont want to pay out lots of money and find i will have to sell them again !! thankyou all and yes this is a great site, realy addicted to it.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 12
NC isn't anything to look at in this price range. Atleast godda go to 300 bucks to get some real technology. Get isolated, get closed, get fitted.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 12
when i read the title to your post i was thinking AKG K81's, then i saw you already have some :p I dont have any expierence with any other closed isolation headphones sorry...

I just picked up a pair of K81's yesterday and am loving them. If you dont mind I have a few questions: How much of a difference does an amp make with these cans? I also run them from a Cowon D2, and they sound great, if not a little bassy. Also what is the burn in time, and how dramatic is the change once they are burned in? I'm trying to decide if I should pick up a cheap headphone amp to get the most out of these cans.

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi and all i can say is wow wow wow, you will realy notice the diference with a fiio e5 portable amp and the akg k81 headphone, especially using it with the cowon d2, honestly im well impressed as im sure there must be many other users out there using same thing, but all i want to now no is what bigger size headphone or simular is exelent at the same levels as a akg 81 but with no sound leakage ? hope that helps you...

Has anybody got the akg k181 and do they leak noise ? have to no before i jump and buy them, cheers

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by radu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a pair of K81's yesterday and am loving them. If you dont mind I have a few questions: How much of a difference does an amp make with these cans? I also run them from a Cowon D2, and they sound great, if not a little bassy. Also what is the burn in time, and how dramatic is the change once they are burned in? I'm trying to decide if I should pick up a cheap headphone amp to get the most out of these cans.

Thanks!

Amps can't work well with low impedence headphones, obviously with hearable background noises.
confused_face(1).gif
Try high impedence ones and then it makes a really difference!
L3000.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 12
Hi and thanks for the advice, i will look into the headphones that you have suggested, and also what are the akg k181 like ? are they also isolated and bassy ? many thanks

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770... Closed... Isolating and bassy.

With a Fiio? Surely you jest, even if you're talking the 80ohm.

OP, a Fiio is not an amp, it's just a louderer button; amps aren't about making things louder. If you're cranking your Cowon and a Fiio way up, then you're not listening to music, you're listening to a wall of noise and bass sludge, mistaking it for decent sound - and your hearing won't last long.

Lose the 'amp'. Get good headphones. Listen at lower volumes and hear the details in the music, not just whumps of bass.

If I sound like a git, then that's because I've experienced hearing damage, and seeing people do it voluntarily just pushes my 'stoopid!' button.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi and no i am taking your advice on board and i dont think you are a git, just im obviously new to all of this listening music stuff and i actually thought the fiio increased the bass/loudness etc...must just be me, anyway going just on the cowon d2 itself and a realy good quality pair of headphnones with good sound isolation for under 100pds, have you experienced the quality of the akg k181 headphones ? as ive already mentioned i use the akg k81/518 and i think they are awesome for the price, but they do leak sound, is it at all possible i can find a decent pair of headphones in my budget that does have good bass and noise isolating ?

And yes i will take your advice on the fiio thing and didnt actually realise it would affect my hearing , but then again listening to levels of high volume obviously would affect hearing..

Thankyou again and no offence taken

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 12
Also where i think im not quite understanding is where you keep mentioning ohm !! what am i actually looking for to get good sound isolation/loud output/bass etc...also does the db output affect a lot, as ive been reading the db on my understanding means louder headphone, sorry again if im wrong and please remember i am new to all of this..

Brian

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 12
That is all the Fiio does; add volume - and louder music and bass is what some people think is better SQ.

Ohms is referring to the impedance of headphones. As long as you're looking for those designed for portability, it's not anything to worry about. Basically it's the resistance of the headphone to power.

Quality phones are often high impedance (say 120+ ohms for arguments sake) as they need the power from an amp to run to potential. Not for volume, but for power, to activate the drivers (speakers) properly. Volume is also there, but is very much a by product.

Cheap battery amps used with phones that never require amping only adds volume, and nothing else. And such amps aren't cut out for better phones, as they don't provide any power to speak of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back