Help finding a neutral DAC/Amp for my HD580s
Dec 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hdlovar

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

I came here three or four years ago in search of a great pair of headphones and a combo DAC/Amp to drive them; I've still got my 580's, but my audiophile dreams never came to fruition. I'm looking to right that injustice, but alas, times have changed! When I was last making my selection the choice seemed obvious - the Audio-GD Compass! However, I know how quickly tech gets dated and it's been quite a while since I've been here.

So, right now I'm looking for a DAC/Amp that's as neutral-sounding as it gets that's around the $2-500 mark. The amp doesn't need to be amazing (unless a perfect unit exists around my price point) since I plan on upgrading to a proper desktop unit at some point in the future, but I'd like a DAC that can become a dedicated unit when that time comes. Ideally the DAC/Amp would have a multitude of inputs, SPDIF, Optical, USB, RCA etc.

I remember reading about something called the Zero(?) the last time I posted, would that still be a good option?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Just ordered an hd650 cable and some hd600 grills for my 580's; now all I need is some amplification. Anyone have any recommendations about a DAC/Amp combo that might satisfy requirements I mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back