Help: Does polarity matter when rewiring headphones?
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
Edit: I'm an idiot and saw the massive DON'T POST HELP at the top right as I hit post...mods remove if necessary just need a quick answer!

EDIT 2: Problem solved so no need for further advice unless you've just something to add for future possible search engine results lol! Thanks everyone!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Just put a new cable on my earbuds (soldered on) and they're out of phase. Normal 3.5mm unbalanced cable.

So...if I just swap the positive and negative wires on one said will this fix this? Does it matter I end up having, say, the negative wire on the positive terminal on the speaker and vice versa?

In other words, if the headphones aren't out of phase after I swap the wires around in one side is the problem fixed or does the positive/negative ends of the cable HAVE to go to the correct positive/negative terminals on the speakers?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Just swap the wires on ONE of the buds and check the phase. Should be ok unless the cable itself has been wired wrong at the plug end... we ran into one like that recently.

Nah the cable is fine...I think...good point as I was PRETTY careful to do it correctly. The plug end is pre-wired but mistakes do happen in manufacturing.

Just wanted to make sure about whether or not positive/negative mattered.

Feb 25, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 11
I know what you are saying. As you don't know which one is wrong you are thinking you could end up with them both reversed. I have been told that in a small bud like that you would never notice... and it will not hurt anything.

what bud are you recabling? are you going to show it to us in the Earbuds Roundup thread?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 11
what bud are you recabling? are you going to show it to us in the Earbuds Roundup thread?

I switched one side and they sound fine now so it was my bad I guess.

The earbud in question is the Baldoor/Mrice E100 I made semi-famous a few years back lol (still my profile pic!)...still rocking them and still loving them. Recabled them with a twisted copper cable I salvaged from a pair of VE Monk Plus.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 11
I switched one side and they sound fine now so it was my bad I guess.

The earbud in question is the Baldoor/Mrice E100 I made semi-famous a few years back lol (still my profile pic!)...still rocking them and still loving them. Recabled them with a twisted copper cable I salvaged from a pair of VE Monk Plus.

Come and put a photo in the earbud thread!

I have the E100.. among a few others...mine is white with the red cable.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Come and put a photo in the earbud thread!

I have the E100.. among a few others...mine is white with the red cable.

Done and done! Mine has a white shell on the left, black on the right...got sick of not telling them apart so changed to entirely different shells haha! Thanks for the help!

QU7fH3Q.jpg

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 11
great idea... I just found a bunch of old posts where you talked about them... hope I have a good one!

Lmao! Yeah, can never tell without a listen. Super frustrating back then too...I was literally sent like 30 pairs and I found one pair that matched mine. Sent them back to China for testing, they couldn't figure out what the issue was...never got them back and now only have my one pair haha! Anyways, thanks again for the help!

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 11
You were brave to get a soldering iron near them if they are your only irreplaceable pair!

Oh, BELIEVE ME, I know...in fact on the left side the speaker frame/basket actually came off the diaphragm...Luckily none of the internal wires severed but yeah...they're barely hanging in there for sure. Hopefully the new cable holds true and I won't have any issues.

Though I do want to make them a 2.5mm balanced bud and the easiest way to do that is rewiring as opposed to replugging so they might need to be opened one last time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back