Help design a switch
Dec 18, 2007 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Troyhoot

Head-Fier
I'm trying to make this harder then it is and about to fry my brain. So I figured I would just ask the best way to make a switch to change output from my computer to either my Headphone amp or my speakers. I dont want to lose any signal strength or quality. Signal quality is my main concern. The headphone amp is my usual output. But lately I have wanted to show my wife something on my computer and for her to hear it she has to get my headphones on and sit in my seat ect.

Here is a pic to show you what I want to do.

Imageshack is a bit slow atm so I hope it loads.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 12
^yup, if it's just two sources, you can do that.

If you want to build it yourself, use a DPDT switch, tie the grounds all common. The two poles would be your left and right channels, switching to the two throws which would be your outputs.

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 12
My solution (with my limited diy experience) would be to use a double pole, double throw switch and three 3.5 (or whatever size you use) jacks, two for outputs and one for the input (from the PC). Just wire the left, right and ground channels to the switch, and put it in a case. If you want to, use silver stranded wire, a gold plated switch, and gold plated (or other high quality type) jacks (I've never seen 3.5mm gold jacks before, but if you are using rca...)

EDIT: Ahh, two responses while I'm typing mine... And a correction, I forgot you don't run the grounds through the switch.

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 12
wow....I thought i was a slow typer
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 12
Thats actually what I was thinking. But I wasnt sure if the signal going through the dpdt switch would degrade the quality. Thats what I meant about over thinking it. Now to find a good quality switch.

Dec 20, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjornboy81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow....I thought i was a slow typer
wink.gif

LOL, well I open tabs in firefox of all the posts I want to read, and by the time I got to this one, some others had already posted.

Dec 20, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyhoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats actually what I was thinking. But I wasnt sure if the signal going through the dpdt switch would degrade the quality. Thats what I meant about over thinking it. Now to find a good quality switch.

Is it possible to use a rotary switch? Im just thinking it might be easier to find an 'audio' grade switch of that type.

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to use a rotary switch? Im just thinking it might be easier to find an 'audio' grade switch of that type.

That's what I did:

BTW, I'm not sure if the signal would really degrade that much with a decent switch. I'm also not a believer in expensive cables so....

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 12
Radio Shack sells switchboxes and has a return policy. I'd pick up one of those and return it if you hear any signal degradation. I used one for awhile before I got a preamp and I think they're just fine. It is generally better to listen for yourself before deciding what is and isn't audio quality.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Well this is what I did for temporary but maybe permanent depending on sound degradation. Around $10 in parts that I could get local.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 12
Nice work, lets us know how it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back