Help deciding what to buy next.
Feb 7, 2016 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

James Myers

Head-Fier
So I've got 200 in amazon gift cards, and can't decide what to do with it.  I was thinking about getting a Solid state amp, and maybe a tube amp.Then I would have a hybrid amp, a tube amp, and a SS amp.  I was looking at the Schiit magni 2 and maybe the APPJ1502a on massdrop (reconsidering due to reports of build quality issue).  Any suggestions/alternatives are welcome, ideally something with good synergy with my HPs.  (Budget not limited to 200$)

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 14
  If you dont have any portable DAC/AMP, take the Oppo HA-2s. This review will make you buy them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UQSqwRPQc

lf I bought everything Zeus said is the best thing ever, Id have bought.... well basically everything he has reviewed.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 14
  I think hes a nice reviewer, and he actually has several negative reviews on products, but anyways, does that mean you are not interested in portable DAC/amps?

I know, I watch alot of his review, hes quite entertaining.  I just watch with a bit of skepticism because he gets a little excited sometimes.  

No I'm not opposed to a portable DAC/AMP, I'm just not sure how much the Momentum 2.0 scale with DAC/amps

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 14
Mmmm, if I had around 200 bucks, I would probably try to get:

The Oppo HA-2.

A cool helmet (like a stormtrooper or darth vader) which I can know I can use (somewhat small, and with a robust build and good materials) as a headphone stand.

The Sony NWZA17 audio player.

The Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 2 combo.

Maybe you get interested in any of these.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 14
Hmm, I've never been one for having a lot of midlevel amps.  Basically my philosophy is get one really great amp, and a portable amp if portable amps are your thing.  I understand multiple flavors of headphones, because they can be all about tradeoffs.  With amps, to me, it's more like better is better.  Once you have a truly great amp, if you have the budget, maybe get an alternative.  

I'd maybe go Lyr2, given your headphones, even if I had to sell the Vali to get there (especially if it's the Vali 1 and not the 2, which is a bit high on the output impedance side for some of your cans).  Then you've got a world class amp that I know works excellently with every can you own (have tried out all those combos except the Momentum 2).  And if you want to get some LISST you can even have solid state or hybrid in the same amp, depending on your mood.  The Lyr2 is also so versatile that you'll never really have to worry about synergy in your future headphone upgrades.  You'll get way more enjoyment out of a single Lyr2 vs being able to pick and choose between a Magni, Vali and 02 (or whatever solid state you picked).  And if you just have the "fiddle bug" there's even tube rolling with the Lyr2.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 14
  Hmm, I've never been one for having a lot of midlevel amps.  Basically my philosophy is get one really great amp, and a portable amp if portable amps are your thing.  I understand multiple flavors of headphones, because they can be all about tradeoffs.  With amps, to me, it's more like better is better.  Once you have a truly great amp, if you have the budget, maybe get an alternative.  

I'd maybe go Lyr2, given your headphones, even if I had to sell the Vali to get there (especially if it's the Vali 1 and not the 2, which is a bit high on the output impedance side for some of your cans).  Then you've got a world class amp that I know works excellently with every can you own (have tried out all those combos except the Momentum 2).  And if you want to get some LISST you can even have solid state or hybrid in the same amp, depending on your mood.  The Lyr2 is also so versatile that you'll never really have to worry about synergy in your future headphone upgrades.  You'll get way more enjoyment out of a single Lyr2 vs being able to pick and choose between a Magni, Vali and 02 (or whatever solid state you picked).  And if you just have the "fiddle bug" there's even tube rolling with the Lyr2.

An interesting idea, It would certainly satisfy all of my amp diversity needs.  How does the Lyr2 handle the highs of the He400i?  As much as a I love the HE400i, they can sometimes leave me missing the the way the HD600 masterfully handles treble, with no huge peaks, harshness, or sibilance.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 14
An interesting idea, It would certainly satisfy all of my amp diversity needs.  How does the Lyr2 handle the highs of the He400i?  As much as a I love the HE400i, they can sometimes leave me missing the the way the HD600 masterfully handles treble, with no huge peaks, harshness, or sibilance.

With the stock tubes the highs sound like they sound. I never found them sibilant on a smooth, neutral amp personally. But, you also have the option of changing to a tube with more relaxed treble, or simply EQing 8-10k out some.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 14
With the stock tubes the highs sound like they sound. I never found them sibilant on a smooth, neutral amp personally. But, you also have the option of changing to a tube with more relaxed treble, or simply EQing 8-10k out some.

I was already EQing 8-10k, but after bumping it down even more, the treble and sibilance is nice and soft :D (at -12 now lol)  I really think that frequency resonates in my ears.

I very well may buy the Lyr2, Should I assume the one on Amazon does not come with the LISST?  It cant seem to find a place where it states what tubes it comes with.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 14
I was already EQing 8-10k, but after bumping it down even more, the treble and sibilance is nice and soft :D (at -12 now lol)  I really think that frequency resonates in my ears.

I very well may buy the Lyr2, Should I assume the one on Amazon does not come with the LISST?  It cant seem to find a place where it states what tubes it comes with.

The only way I know to get LISST is to order from Schiit.

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 14
I'd recommend the o2+odac combo. Personally I've found no better alternative in the <700 usd price range. Some people say the schitt stack (modi magni) offers identical sound but I've found that untrue, as the modi tends to be more upbeat (and thus less natural) than the odac.
If you like the tube sound you can go with the Little dot I+ or Aune T1. Once again I'm not big on the Schiit choice (Vali) cos it sounds too solid-state-ish to me.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 14
The only way I know to get LISST is to order from Schiit.

Hmm Im curious as to how the Lyr 2 compares to the Valhalla 2 and Asgard 2 in terms of sound quality.  The Lyr 2 + LISST = 529, wheres as the V2+A1 = 599ish.  With this combo I wouldn't have to switch between tubes to switch between tubes and SS.  The downside of course is if I ever buy the HE6 (which I dont plan to)

I should mention I prefer a sound sig that is shifted toward the dark/smooth side of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back