Help deciding on which headphones to try
Aug 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SimonSaid

New Head-Fier
I'm not an audiophile person, but I love music! I've been using koss porta pro and I like them a lot BUT I listened to my friends Bose headphones the AE2 I think(don't laugh) and I was amazed at how clear they were, and I know it sounds cliche but I was able to hear things in music that I had never heard before. I know Bose is supposed to be overpriced and you can get much better for the money, which is why I am here. I want something that sounds good, looks decent and is comfortable and is detailed (I think that's the term, that allows me to hear new things that my beloved porta pros didn't)

My budget is $200. I like a good bass but nothing overpowering. Searching here and other places I have narrowed my choices to these, please tell me which ones for my criteria

Sony MDR-1R
Ath M50x blue edition
AKG K545
Bose Sountrue Around Ear

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 9
If you want something slightly bass-heavy, the AKG K545 is a good option. The ATH M50X is a bit overrated in my option... Do you have large ears? Because both of those are a bit small and could be uncomfortable. I don't know much about the other two.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the quick reply. I've never had big headphones before that go over the ear but the Bose ones fit well and the Beats by Dre I've tried at Best Buy were ok too. The only other one I tried was Skull candy Aviator and I refuse to believe anyone fits their ears in there

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 9
I really like my beyerdynamic dt770's there a pretty good headphone for all types of music

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 9
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-HPH-MT220-Headphones/dp/B009F8WRXG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408757523&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+mt220

this pair will knock the socks off the Bose, and the list u have.
big soundstage, good clarity..good sense of realism..imho.

very easily powered, works with your handfone, ipads..ipods...
(and sounds even better with better gears.)

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 9
You can find a Beyerdynamic dt990 used for your budget. Those were my first large over ear headphones, got them for the exact same reasons you have too. Just make sure to get the 32ohm version unless you plan on getting an amp. I used them for a good 2 years or so before ever upgrading, so they served me very well for all types of music and general audio purposes, even without a dac or amp. They are open back though, but don't leak as much as other open back headphones. you can almost say they are one of the most closed open back style headphone. but sound wise it should be exactly what you are looking for, more detail, good bass but not overpowering, good soundstage, and not overly bright. There are bassier headphones, they are brighter and more detailed headphones, but for your budget the dt 990 is a good balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back