Help decide on wood\color
May 20, 2009 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm stuck between this two woods. Need choose one for wooden cups in diy pro-ject.
Which color looks better to you? Sorry for bad mobile phone picture. A better camera wasn't available at the workplace.
2a68gh3.jpg

May 20, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 30
Right. I might change my mind if the wood was shinier.
Oh with cognac? If the right is an exact match for the cognac, then the right. If its a shade or two off (i.e. brighter than the cognac after lacquer), the left.

May 20, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 30
Yeah, forget to mention it will be covered with gloss laquer and most likely cognac leather pads will be used. What will be better macht in this case?

May 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 30
I personally like darker shades of wood so I'd say left. Moreover the reddish tendencies of this piece could yield a fabulous finished piece.

The darker the wood the less it reminds me of cheap furniture IYKWIM.

BUT... the lacquer and leather choice will certainly influence a lot the choice of wood. You may want to finish those pieces and put a sample of the leather next to them if you want us to make a choice.

May 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 30
I they are paired with these earpads, then I choose the right one.

May 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicalpig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BUT... the lacquer and leather choice will certainly influence a lot the choice of wood. You may want to finish those pieces and put a sample of the leather next to them if you want us to make a choice.

x2

May 20, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 30
Went right. Light colors give a less serious/heavy/conservative look.

May 20, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 30
I like the left sample best.

May 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 30
I think the sample on the right would look better with cognac pads.

If you want to know what a piece of wood will look like finished, put some denatured alcohol into a small (3oz.-4oz.) plastic travel bottle and take it with you next time. The denatured alcohol will give you a good representation of the finished color. Also, the alcohol dries in a few minutes and leaves the wood completely unharmed, so the shop won't mind if you do that.

Also, I disagree with the point about light colors equalling cheapness. I've seen superb furniture in light colors or even blonde and utter crap with faux mahogany finishes.

May 21, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the sample on the right would look better with cognac pads.

If you want to know what a piece of wood will look like finished, put some denatured alcohol into a small (3oz.-4oz.) plastic travel bottle and take it with you next time. The denatured alcohol will give you a good representation of the finished color. Also, the alcohol dries in a few minutes and leaves the wood completely unharmed, so the shop won't mind if you do that.

Also, I disagree with the point about light colors equalling cheapness. I've seen superb furniture in light colors or even blonde and utter crap with faux mahogany finishes.

It's surprising how much of a difference just wetting the wood will do. Gives a much better idea of what the final product will look like color-wise. Good tip with the denatured alcohol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back