Help decide. Ipod Classic, Touch or iPhone?
Oct 13, 2007 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
I own a few DAP, including an Ipod Nano 8GB 2nd. gen. which i use a lot.
I have an opportunity to get a new toy. I was wondering which one to get between the Classic (160GB), the touch or the iPhone.

I have a ALO Cryo dock and i was wondering if it works with the classic? And what about the iPhone and touch? I really pretend to pair this new toy with my portable audio setup.

The 160GB capacity are towarding me into the classic direction, but i'm not sure yet.

Let me know what do you guys suggest me ...

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 15
The ALO dock works with the Classic and Touch. The iPhone needs a different cable.

Well, the iPhone is rather obvious if you need a phone.
Get the Touch if want a PDA.
Get the Classic if you're interested in listening to all/most of your music collection from the palm of your hand.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 15
Imo, amping an iPhone is a bit ridiculous from a practicality standpoint. It's not why you get one.

So amping aside, rxc's post just about covers it.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 15
Well, I think this sums it up well:
  • iPod classic: Music
  • iPhone: Phone
  • iPod touch: Toy

Buy whichever is most important to you.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 15
If you value storage then get the Classic. But since your budget apparently reaches high enough and since you mention the 8 gig Nano, so you would be used to the lack of storage, then go for Touch. It seemed a lot better when I tried the iPod line, but the lack of storage and price put me off.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 15
I have a touch paired with one of EFN's LOD and an T2- the sound is great and very small form factor. The interface is great- yes it is a fun toy but a very good dap as well. The HP out is not bad, but if you are using just the HP out your best bet would probably be the classic. pics below...

Attachment 10370

Attachment 10371

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 15
The touch is just so hot...
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 15
For commuting I use an IPhone and E500s, excellent match

For listening to my inventory of songs I use a new classic 80 line out into an IBasso T2 into ER-4Ps. The IBasso T2 rocks with the Etys and the classic. I can drive both the E500s and the Etys off the T2 also, which is often convenient for my wife.

I carry about 1000 songs and 19 videos along with about 1000 pics on the IPhone with 8 gigs its more than enough storage for commutes. For longer trips or leasure time, its nice to have over 5000 songs and several dozen videos on the classic, not quite the wow factor of the touch screen, but the new classic interface is much cooler than previous generations of IPODs.

For me, the order of choice would be IPhone, Classic then Itouch.

I think if I owned just an Itouch I would still end up buying a classic too at some point so I had a better selection of music

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 15
But I guess it does depend on the size of your collection and yes, you can use playlists to manage it but I hate when you even have to be concerned about not having some of your music with you. If the Touch was available with 32 or ideally 64 GB (and I'm sure it will be next year), I might get it, but if you want an ipod music player now, the Classic is by far the best bang for your buck and it handles videos pretty well too. for me, the best feature of the Touch and iphone is the wifi/browser capability but I have other deivces to handle that.

If you don't see your music going beyond 8 or 16GB in the next few years, get the touch if you think you can use the wifi/web functionality

Chris

Oct 14, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the iPod Classic sound better than the Touch?

I'm not positive on this, but I think a DAP would sound better than a PDA that can play music.

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 15
I really like the sound of the Touch. I prefer it to the 2nd gen Nano & on par with the 1st gen Shuffle.

I haven't done direct comparisons but that's what I feel from my normal listening.

I have the 8GB & it's fine as I use smart playlists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back