HELP! CK100 PRO, Shure SE535, Heir 4ai, other recommendations !?
Mar 18, 2013 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ahbee1628

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers,

After being together with my lovely 'Audio Technica CK10' for just over a year they died
frown.gif

I think the fault is with the cabling, and the other problem with it is the wear on the housing. I do intend to re-house them if I could find someone that can do it (currently in Hong Kong, for a few months). I really...really ..really love this IEMs, they are the best IEMs that I have ever listened to and it's just so comfortable, I could listen to them for hours.

Anyways that's the reason why I am looking for a new set since they're broken and also discontinued in Japan (I've checked everywhere). I'm thinking of upgrading to the 'CK100PRO' but I've noticed that I could get the SE535 and Heir 4ai for similar price... so I'm now stuck as to which one i should go with.

Please give me your opinions on the above headphones and any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated !!! :)

My preference is something similar to the CK10 , amazing treble, just the right amount of bass and and something that sounds analytical and neutral like the ck10. This statement would probably lead you to say that I should go with the CK100PRO... BUT if you could persuade me otherwise as to why your recommendation is better and give me a good review of it I would probably give it a shot  :D

Music preference: Female vocals, indie, jazz, pop/kpop, electric, some RnB/Rock, Ballads, Piano, Fast paced/trance etc.

Any Input is greatly Appreciated !  :)

Bee.
beyersmile.png

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 20
The CK100PROs have a more linear treble, but significantly more energy. It was fun for a month or so but got pretty tiring in the end. In return though you get absolute transparency and clarity well above the CK10s, albeit not as transparent in the lower mids compared to the CK100s. Overall still more similar to the CK10s than the CK100s were. You also get a tad bit more bass impact and texture as well. But I must warn you that these are exceedingly transparent and strident songs will sound like the cutting of 1000 knives deep into your canals. The CK100s were just so in the mids, the PROs are transparent EVERYWHERE.

4.Ai, vaguely remember, so can't comment on. All I could remember was a similar sig to the UE900s with a bit more warmth and mid-bass bloom. So from there, can say that there's probably not enough upper mids if you're using the CK10s as a reference. Slight sparkle and plenty accuracy on the UEs though. 

SE535s...very mid-centric, nowhere near the levels of treble out of a CK10, probably would find them lacking there. Also the mids are much more hefty and lush comparatively. Might not keep up as nicely as you'd like for trance, etc, relative to the ATs. Even the more balanced W4 would be dark and not as analytical. 

My pitch would be for the CK100PRO if you can stand the transparency; EX1000 if you mind a loss in isolation, more bass with ample texture (nowhere near excessive though) similarily sweet but more substantial upper-mids, treble quantity, and a massive stage; PFE232s if you mind more of a V-shape but with the same (probably better in this case) sense of clarity, softness of note and basically lean signature, and being just as prominent in the upper mids and treble.

Also - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 20
The Etymotic ER4P/S are closest to the CK10 in term of soundsignature and offers sparkly highs, detailed mids, good punchy lowend and improve further if add AMPs in chain. The other IEMs Grado GR10, CK100Pro, Sony EX1000, UE900, DBA-02 are another pretty good sounding IEMs with good sparkly highs.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 20
Thanks HFAUDIOPHILE and TwinQY for your detailed response and recommendations, it would be lovely if I could get more opinions from other headfiers... so please keep the posts coming 
L3000.gif

Still stressing which IEMs to go with  :'(

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 20
If the CK10 is the sound signature you like then I say stick with the TWFK based IEM's like the GR01, DBA-02 MKII, R-50 or one of the other ones that are out there.

Now for a warmer sound with a great presentation the W4 and SM3 V2 would be 2 really good choices and both are better than the SE535 imo.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 20
The sm64 is also pretty sweet. Better clarity than w4/sm3. Not quite as fast as the ck10 but comes with some bass.

The EX1000 is a favorite as well but the fit is problematic for some.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
The Etymotic ER4P/S are closest to the CK10 in term of soundsignature and offers sparkly highs, detailed mids, good punchy lowend and improve further if add AMPs in chain. The other IEMs Grado GR10, CK100Pro, Sony EX1000, UE900, DBA-02 are another pretty good sounding IEMs with good sparkly highs.

x2 on the ER4P. I own one and still can't believe what kind of animals they are. The only thing that I don't like is they appear to sound best with the tri-flange tips which can get uncomfortable, difficult to insert properly and really sucking out everything in your head when pulling them out.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 20
I strongly would not recommend the Shure SE535 because they are very uncomfortable and the sound signature is way too mid-centric.  I couldn't wait to sell mine to help fund the Grado GR10.  The Grado GR10 is very comfortable.  I never have heard the CK10 although I venture to say the Grado GR10 has a similar sound signature: highs that sparkle, very fluid midrange that isn't too forward.  The GR10 sounded bass shy the first day I listened to them.  Today is Day 4 and I can honestly say the bass has really stepped up to the plate to balance out the mids and highs.  

The Westone 4/R would be another good choice.  They are just as comfortable as the GR10.  The sound signature is very balanced overall although sometimes the W4 sound slightly dark, like they lack presence in the upper midrange/lower treble.  However the bass on the W4/R is very prominent, definitely not bass shy like the GR10.  The Westone 4/R has a wider soundstage too.   Hope this has helped.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 20
I will chime in of this one. I will pretty much agree with TwinQY that if you're looking for direct upgrade from the CK10 then CK100PRO could be a logical choice out of those you have listed.

Compared to the CK10 then the CK100PRO has more low end emphasis that also doesn't roll off, very linear up to 1K and a boost around 10K which adds some pleasant airiness and increase in  the vertical sound stage, well at least to my ears.

The CK100PRO is extremely transparent and can be very critical with some compressed recordings, meaning distortion and clipping will be revealed, but it does sounds excellent with well recorded albums.

It is by far the most transparent IEM that I have ever heard, exceeding the W4, UM3X, Etymotic 4ER4P and Shure 530, but certainly not for everyone to enjoy. 

As always price matters too..

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 20
This is my first post on Head Fi! I find the Shure 535's very comfy with the iPhone control cord (vice the stock cord which I find hurts the top of my ear). I have two pair of 535's and I wear them several hours each day. In fact I often fall asleep with them in.

If I were to buy another IEM I was thinking of upgrading to the JH13 or JH16 (not sure if in your budget); however, I'm also thinking it's time for me to invest in full sized headphones. Cheers

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 20
Have you looked into HiFiman Re400's? They are cheaper than all the options you listed; neutral, good treble extension and works great with many genres, after performing foam+filter mod mentioned in RE400 thread they are even better. I listen to many of the genres you mentioned, particularly female k/jpop and ballad. While I owned Shure SE425's I disliked them for having rolled off treble. User randomkid told me SE535's arent a whole different league from the 425 so I sold them and moved on the the RE400's, now just waiting for TF10's with silver cable to arrive :p I also think HFAUDIOPHILE made a good recommendation with the ER4.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 20
Wooooo ! ~~
k701smile.gif

Thanks, Guys and Gals for the input... After reading all the reviews I'm very curious about the ER4P and the Grado GR10, if anyone owns/owned these IEMs please leave me your opinion on them, before I got the CK10 I read many great things about the Grado GR10 and ER4P. Hope someone out there can help refresh my memory  :D

Still undecided.... Ck100Pro , ER4P, Grado GR10 (P.s. I loved how quick my CK10 was, the detail and speed of certain songs is on a different level... wish i could get them back alive)

Thank you to the above posters, really appreciate your time and effort in helping me find my next IEM, and also please keep the poll votes and your opinions coming !
L3000.gif

aHBee .

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
Wooooo ! ~~
k701smile.gif

Thanks, Guys and Gals for the input... After reading all the reviews I'm very curious about the ER4P and the Grado GR10, if anyone owns/owned these IEMs please leave me your opinion on them, before I got the CK10 I read many great things about the Grado GR10 and ER4P. Hope someone out there can help refresh my memory  :D

Still undecided.... Ck100Pro , ER4P, Grado GR10 (P.s. I loved how quick my CK10 was, the detail and speed of certain songs is on a different level... wish i could get them back alive)
Thank you to the above posters, really appreciate your time and effort in helping me find my next IEM, and also please keep the poll votes and your opinions coming !
L3000.gif

aHBee .

Can't say the GR10s are going for the same things as the other options. Bass and midrange are very cohesive, as good as with the Ortofons, almost planar-like in essence. Good amount of bite and treble energy as well. But not CK10-like at all. Nowhere as linear or fast. 

Have had the ER4Ps for ~5 years as of now, would still go for the CK100PROs as a CK10-soundalike/transparency and clarity monster.

Quote:

The CK100PRO is extremely transparent and can be very critical with some compressed recordings, meaning distortion and clipping will be revealed, but it does sounds excellent with well recorded albums.

It is by far the most transparent IEM that I have ever heard, exceeding the W4, UM3X, Etymotic 4ER4P and Shure 530, but certainly not for everyone to enjoy. 

This. If the C435 was not my end-game I would have just stuck with the CK100PROs, wouldn't have even thought twice about selling them. Perceived clarity, natural clarity, they have both in spades. Far beyond what the Etys can push out.

As you can see, some heavy bias towards the CK100PROs for me :p So take with quite a bit of salt.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 20
Ahbee1628
The GR10 sounds like an improved and upgraded ER4. Waaaay more natural sounding with better textured bass and improved midrange....very airy and open.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #15 of 20
So now it's down to three contenders ...... CK100Pro or ER4P(s)  and the Heir 4ai
confused_face_2.gif

SHOWDOWN TiME !

Please post your past experience and opinions of these two headphones, the more in-depth the better e.g. sound tracks used, build quality, isolation, sound/ soundstage, recommended accessories etc.

Hopefully this will be my last shout for help...

Thanks Again ! 
beyersmile.png

aHBee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back