Help choosing sub 100$ amp for Beyer DT 770 Pro's
Apr 7, 2003 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AngryFish

Head-Fier
Fellow Head-Fiers' please assist.

I'm trying to find an amp to drive the Beyer DT 770 pro's and I want to stay under 100$. Is this possible? Ive heard of people running the 770's off of a CMOY with 18v. Im not concerned with portablity and would actually prefer to use a wallwart. I thought that maybe the meta42 would suit my needs but Im not sure what kind of components would work best for the dt 770. If someone could reccomend a setup for me I would appreciate it. or if anyone is interested in possibly parting with an amp that would suit my needs, please PM me. I already did a search but was unable to come up with details on DIY amps.

Thanks,
AngryFish

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 12
The Fixup Supermini should be able to drive the Beyers, and should be at your price point.

A good resource for DIY amps is the projects library at www.headwize.com.

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 12
The Supermini cannot drive the Beyers because it has a max of 12v, and the Beyers need at least 18v. Trust me, they will sound thin and undesirable with a Supermini.

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
The Supermini cannot drive the Beyers because it has a max of 12v, and the Beyers need at least 18v. Trust me, they will sound thin and undesirable with a Supermini.

I've successfully used the Supermini with the AKG K-1000, which wants considerably more power than any Beyers I know about. I suspect that if you tell Xin the headphone that you want to use, he'll make sure that the Supermini you get can drive it.

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 12
I will look into the supermini, how about the Meta42? I was interested in the Meta because of its versatility. What are the specs I would have to ask for on a meta? I want to talk to JMT about it but if anyone has any info on what I would need, that would be great.

Apr 7, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I've successfully used the Supermini with the AKG K-1000, which wants considerably more power than any Beyers I know about. I suspect that if you tell Xin the headphone that you want to use, he'll make sure that the Supermini you get can drive it.

I'm guessing that most of his superminis are identical. A supermini, as I said, CAN drive the beyers, but they sound thin and veiled because of lack of voltage. You cannot dispute that 18v would power the beyers, or any can, better than would 9v. It's just common sense.

Apr 7, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 12
I do not think you can get a good META 42 under $100 so I recommend a CHA-47. I would pick the CHA-47 over the Supermini because the amp gives it a little more bass (Bass is what you are looking for since you did buy the Beyers, right?).

Apr 7, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 12
Can you put 18v through the CHA-47, and can it be driven cleanly through a wallwart?

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Dont you have any Pre amps with headphone outputs? I'm using a Pinoeer stereo preamp with mine which has a very loud bass with extra low frequency button. The quality is fine for me, but of course it sounds better and more detailed on say a Accuphase pure gold finish Pre Amp worth £5000 (like i have downstairs) but that gives little bass.

But dont get hooked on bass my friend, I damaged my ears - almost tinnitus. Only have the extra bass on for a few minutes (if you use a computer turn down the bass output), otherwise it will damage your ears. I didnt think it would hurt me, now I havent used my headphones at all for 2 weeks because of the pain. Just put it on a medium level and you'll keep your ears.

Supermini is too weak, but the CHA47 is maybe what your looking for, dunno about strength though. You can always try the Creek11SE with OBH2 for about £120 but apparenlty is very flat sounding. It's a hard choice but I have stuck with my Preamps as they give bass and can drive the headphones well.

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for the Information I have a NAD T742 A/V Receiver, I will try the 770's on that when I get them. I dont have the cans yet, I am going to be buying them from a fellow headfier when his new cans come in.

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 12
lol your exactly like me - i created the exact same thread weeks before i recieved my DT770pros wanting the biggest bass for under £100. Now i dont want any more bass at all.

Just be careful with ur ears mate. Im 16 and have mild tinnitus already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back