Help choosing headphones
Oct 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Samjf123

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy new headphones to replace my Creative wp-300 wireless headphones. I'm looking for wired headphones, either on-ear or over-ear, that are not too big and cost under £200. My main priority is sound quality. I have narrowed it down to these 4:

Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear
Sony MDR-1r
Bowers and Wilkins P3
Philips Fidelio L1

Which is the best? Any help is appreciated.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 48
Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear - good allrounder, balanced sound with a slight fun tilt (a bit of bass and treble emphasis compared to neutral)
Sony MDR-1r - mids-forward, moderate midbass hump, laid back subbass and even more laid back treble, so somewhat dark sounding, but excellent soundstage given the lack of treble presence
Bowers and Wilkins P3 - midbassy, lackluster subbass extension, dark, congested, lacks clarity - the worst of the bunch
Philips Fidelio L1 - haven't heard it but if it's anything like the X1, roughly neutral except for bass emphasis, with good clarity

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 48
Thanks for the answers so far! I like a wide range of music, for example one of my favourite bands is Bastille. I'm using an iPod Touch 4th generation. I don't know much about audiophile terminology so explanations of things like "subbass extension" might be useful.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 48
If you listen a wide range of music i say the momentum. Not very big, relaxed sound signature (No piercing highs, no elevated bass) However i read in threads that the momentum has little earpads to be over ear for some people.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 48
The reviews I've read seem to say they're all pretty laid back apart from the Momentums and the music I listen to isn't very laid back, so I guess the Momentums might be better suited to my music taste. But from what I've heard, they're less comfortable than the others, they're on-ear instead of over-ear (does that affect sound quality?) and they're not semi-open like the L1s.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 48
If your ears are 65mm tall, the odds are you will be able to fit your ears in the Momentum, and they will be comfortable.

The Momentums ARE quite laid back - but they have enough 'speed' to play all genres well. 

If your ears are bigger than 65mm. the other one to go for is the Fidelio - that's more 'lively' than the Momentum and a good all-rounder - it actually has quite a similar sound signature to the Momentum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back