Help Choosing Headphones
Aug 24, 2007 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrSpandex

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been looking around for headphones in the $30 - $50 street price range for about a week now, and I just can't come to a real decision.

They will have to be portable (folding or just small). I use them at school during lab time, so an open headphone will probably not be an option.

Right now, I am mostly considering:

Sennheiser PX200
AKG K 26 P

I'm worried about the fit of the px200's, and I'm not so sure they will prevent the sound from leaking too much, but I do like the looks and construction of these much better.

I'm worried the AKGs are a little too heavy on the bass, and not so good at other ranges. I am also worried about their build quality.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 10
I've personally had no experience with the AKG but i did have the px200 and I found it a bit hit and miss. Getting the fit right is pretty hard for headphones like px200. Get it off a wee bit and poof there goes the bass... and the isolation. If you don't mind fiddling with it a wee bit then they sound great.

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay away from the K26 / K27, they're hard to fit properly, and even then, they aren't that good.

Just grab some KSC75 or PX100.

I have been avoiding those two specifically because they will probably leak a substantial amount of sound. Like I said, I need them to be at least mostly quiet for those around me.

Do you think that those would still be fine in a library-like environment?

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by milamber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heres a review that might help you

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168073

Thanks for that, it definitely pushes me away from the px200's

The cx300's seem promising. I just lost my mx400's, though, which were unimpressive. I'm not sure if earbuds are the way to go, as I really don't need them to be THAT portable. I would rather trade portability for better sound at the same price.

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I _think_ that I have the Sennheiser CX300 (no idea if S or B), and I am (was) pretty satisfied with them for mobile listening.

X1 on that! This are very good phones for that price. I have them now for a long time and they are great for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back