Help choosing between Beyerdyanmic DT 770 vs Sony MDR-MA900 for gaming and music
Nov 13, 2013 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

rudyae86

1000+ Head-Fier
Im still debating on which headphones to choose. Both have great reviews. Price isnt much of a concern since i could probobly can go to $200 on spending on a pair of headphones. Since I will use this more for gaming ( i want to say 60% gaming, 20% movies and 20% music) I really want to lean to the Sony headphones since they seem to be more comfortable to the Beyers.
Now these 2 are main options for multipurpose, but the though of adding a mic like the mod mic or zalman mic...mmm i kind of hate adding more cables to a set of headphones.

So I was also wondering what if I buy myself a pair of dediceted gaming headset. The sennheiser U320 seemed ok but then I saw the PC 360 and the PC 363D. Then I also checked out the Beyerdynamic MMX300 and seem to be very good.

Now I seem to be bouncing everywhere with this but I do love bass, especially on my games. I play alot of FPS games along with racing sims.

The othe reason I would like a gaming headset like the PC360 or MMX300 is because I want the mic to be attached to the heaset as opposed to having it on my shirt or somthing. I like how the Sennheisers have the function of muting your mic when you flip it up and have read their mics are also of good quality. I just like to have more of a comfortable yet have overall functionality with my headset.

I will be running either headphone without an amp right now and will be using them with a PS3(wont be getting a PS4 till next year) and also on PC while using just my regular onboard sound but using Razer surround. I will also be buying an astro mix amp pro for my PS3 as well.

Pheeew...as you can see, Im very picky but I dont want to drop 200+ on a pair of headphones i wont like much.

forgot to add, I will be buying a an amp later on, thinking of an amp from schiit or Fiio.

Thanks in advance for the help and im a audiophile newbie lol

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 25
Without an amp, the Sony is the clear choice.

With an amp, the Sony is my clear choice, but might not be yours.

If the closed DT 770 (which comes in several flavors) is, if not a basshead lite can, certainly very close to it.  The problem is that it also has very hollowed out mids.

The open MA 900 is an excellent balanced can.  It is one of the best and safest choices to run with low powered upline equipment.  It is rated at just 12 Ohms and has sensitivity of 104 dB.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 25
Well I do seem to like bass and evidently I would lile to get the dt 770 but theres 250ohms and an 80ohms....the mmx300 which are pretty much dt770 i think are 32ohms but they are pricey at 400 bucks but was looking for them at 240 but cant seem to find them. I have also read somewhere, the dt990 are better than the dt770 and the dt 880.

what will be your take on that? thanks for the info

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 25
  Without an amp, the Sony is the clear choice.

With an amp, the Sony is my clear choice, but might not be yours.

If the closed DT 770 (which comes in several flavors) is, if not a basshead lite can, certainly very close to it.  The problem is that it also has very hollowed out mids.

The open MA 900 is an excellent balanced can.  It is one of the best and safest choices to run with low powered upline equipment.  It is rated at just 12 Ohms and has sensitivity of 104 dB.

No just no 

at KG Jag :D remember to ask some question to our user first ^^ 

At RUdy, are you going to need any isolation? THe MA 900 is open back which means any noise around you will not be blocked out. So think of open back headphones like speakers! If your dog is screaming in the other room... you will hear it! If your buddy is puking around the corner.... you'll hear that too :3 [Happy closed back owner, with some Open backs too] 

So if you need isolation closed back is the way to go, if isolation is not needed then an open back can is a great option!

Now if your need isolation and a closed back, I can suggest come closed back headphones for gaming :3

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 25
Well honestly I dont mind having either open or closed headphones. I play in my own room and nobody is really around. I know there are differences between open and closed and since i like bass in my games, closed would be ideal but then again In games, I dont want a hard bass in which i wont be able to distinguish other sounds.

I appreciate the info, thanks very much :)

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 25
bump

and like i said before I will be using these for PC and console(PS3 for now)

But if I cant find a headset for both...I might just get a set for PC and a set for PS3 and a set for music. Of course, ill be buying one at a time.

Its soo hard to choose what headset for what

Im already thinking of getting a sennhesier U320 for my PS3 and for Music the MA900...and for PC either DT770 or DT990. But if I plan to buy the Astro Mix Amp Pro, then my choices will still fall within the MA900 and the DTs 770 and 990, since with the mix amp pro ill be able to adjust game volume and mic/chat volume, in which the U320 has built in.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 25
oh ok lol..yes ive been reading mpre reviews on it and the dt770 falls short..even the dt990 almost matches the ma900. So i guess One of my headphones ill be buying is the MA900. i would get the dt990 for music though..if i find it cheap...but for now i guess i will go with the MA900

what else would you recommend?
Since the MA900 is in the bag, would you guys recommend any of the sennheiser gaming headsets? was thinking of either the U 320 or the PC363D. Reason is because both have attached mics and are comfortable and look nice too lol. I want to have a pair just to use them here and there...especially when i will be having the MAs attached to either the pc or ps3 and dont want to switch back and foward..

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 25
  Meant to say "out of the dt770's 'league'".  The MA900 is much better.

True but again, no one is suuggesting the DT 770, rather we needed to determine if he needs isolation. An MA 900 in a nosiy enviorment is going to sound terrible :3 because of all the noise!

Now assuming he can go with open. and I think he can based on his answer the MA 900 is a good choice, I would NOT recommend the DT 990 BECAUSE it needs an amp :D 

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 25
Thank you for your answers. Im already determined to get the MA900. But would the DT990 with an Amp, be better than the MA900? Ill be buyung an amp later on..

also, where would i find deals on headsets, especially since black friday is near...amazon shows that 200 for a new pair but im wondering if they would go cheaper?

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 25
Thank you for your answers. Im already determined to get the MA900. But would the DT990 with an Amp, be better than the MA900? Ill be buyung an amp later on..

also, where would i find deals on headsets, especially since black friday is near...amazon shows that 200 for a new pair but im wondering if they would go cheaper?

Well the Dt 990 Pro 250ohm should be about $150 new, you could get a Fiio E11 for about $50 and that would power it nicely. HONESTLY I loved mine! It has a TON of wonderful bass slam but enough sound stage width for some nice gaming as well. Mad Lust Envy also likes the DT 990 for gaming :D but he likes the MA900 as well to so xD it's really up to you

imo though, Beyer headphones are some of the COMFIEST! I used to wear my dt 990 for literally hours, and in case your curious... I now own a DT 880 [better for music not so much gaming] That said, I think the MA 900 though is your best bet without an amp 

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 25
@Mshenay

oh man now i feel like I want to buy both lol
But thanks alot for the info. This will definitely help me alot with my decision.

I guess it definitely comes down to the MA900 and the DT990I guess it wouldnt hurt to purchase the DT990 first and the E11 Fiio amp and see how that works out.

And if i want the MA900, I can just sell the DT990 and get the other headset.

But I will see. Im still going to see other reviews as well get info from you guys. Thanks a lot.

Also, can anyone direct me where to buy headsets online? I use Amazon alot but I wonder if maybe other online stores have better prices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back