Help choosing between ATH-M50 and Sennheiser HD 518
Nov 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fest

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I need a bit of orientation here, please!

I can't decide between these two headphones. At first I was going to buy the HD518, but since the ATH-M50 have a great reputation and seem to have lowered their price on Amazon, I think I'll be able to afford them.

Things to take into account:

-Indoor use (that's why I first thought about open headphones, but I have heard many great comments about the M50s)
-No amp
-I listen to a wide range of genres (rock, classical, indie pop, thrash metal, j-pop/rock, OST's and more)
-I highly value comfort in long-term use

Thanks in advance! 
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 7
The 518 is the more balanced of the two.  As an open can, it offers a bigger/better sound stage.

The M50 has recessed mids, which makes it less versatile.  The two reasons to pick it are that it provides a bass emphasized sound signature (with a bright high end) and it is better for portable use.

Both of these cans are generally, but not universally viewed as being comfortable.  Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 7
If you're open to other models/brands i suggest you take a look at the M-audio Q40. They are fast headphones with nice mids, you can improve the soundstage with velour pads (increase comfort as well) and bass response is great. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 7
  The 518 is the more balanced of the two.  As an open can, it offers a bigger/better sound stage.

The M50 has recessed mids, which makes it less versatile.  The two reasons to pick it are that it provides a bass emphasized sound signature (with a bright high end) and it is better for portable use.

Both of these cans are generally, but not universally viewed as being comfortable.  Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Thanks for your reply. I guess that the versatility is a point in favor for the HD518. Since the M50s are closed and the HD518 are open, I assumed that the M50s had more bass and the HD518 a better sound stage.

Regarding the comfortability, I guess it's subjective... I'm okay with them being generally viewed as comfortable, my current headphones are the heaviest and most uncomfortable headphones ever lol

Personally, and taking into account the things I mentioned above, which one of those would you choose?

If you're open to other models/brands i suggest you take a look at the M-audio Q40. They are fast headphones with nice mids, you can improve the soundstage with velour pads (increase comfort as well) and bass response is great. 

Thank you for your reply too. I've checked them and they look nice too, but Amazon only sells them within the US and it would be a bit difficult for me to get them in my country. Thanks anyway :]

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 7

Thank you for your reply too. I've checked them and they look nice too, but Amazon only sells them within the US and it would be a bit difficult for me to get them in my country. Thanks anyway :]

Sorry, i thought you were located in the US.

Let us know your experience with the Sennhs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back