Help Choosing Amp for HD600's
Feb 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ChunkyBunker

New Head-Fier
Hey, guys. I'm a new member here.  I just entered the world of Head-Fi, and am super excited to be a part of it. I've been an audiophile for some time now, but this is my first foray into "portable audiophilia". 

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a good amp to drive the cans.

Budget = ~$300

I think I'd want a tube amp for these guys. I want a lively sound, with rich vocals, and a good soundstage. I've looked at a few, and I seem to have it narrowed down to the Little Dot MKIV and the Bottlehead Crack.

Do you guys have any opinions on either of those two, or perhaps suggestions for anything you might prefer?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 10
http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=%22HD600%20Amp%22&containingforum[]=5&sort=lastupdate&resultSortingPreference=relevance

Looks like you've already narrowed it down to two though... so just toss a coin or pick the current favorite "crack"

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 10
Don't limit yourself to just tubes.  The Asgard pairs very well with my HD600s.  It sounds better than you'd expect for the price.  It is very smooth, yet highly detailed, and the sound stage is quite wide for a solid state amp.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I'm in the Asgard camp.  I didn't get the reference to portability. 

Just attesting to the fact that headphones can be moved around while being listened to. I keep hearing good things about the Asgard. I'm going to have to look more into that one. I like the concept of solid state, but I keep hearing that the HD600's crave a tube amp.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Gilmore Lite (if you can find one used) is very good with HD600.

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 10
The Asgard isn't as wide or deep as my tube amps, but it's wider and deeper than my AV receiver.  It's a pretty tight and solid amp for being solid state and not tube based.

Quote:
How are the Asgard and Gilmore in terms of soundstage depth (not just width)?

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 10
I have a Little Dot MKIV (non-se) paired with my HD650s.  Excellent combination that got even better when I rolled tubes to GE-JAN 5654s.  

Of course, this is my first desktop amp, so my experience is limited.  But I sure like what I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back