Help choosing a new turntable
Oct 28, 2008 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Jebido

New Head-Fier
I'm relatively new in the vinyl scene (a few months now) but am lucky enough to live near one of the best record stores on the east coast (Plan 9 in Richmond Virginia).

I want to upgrade from my parents old table to something modern and better functioning.

I would really like everybodies suggestions on a starter table. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive but sounds good. I also really like the idea of putting working, time and money into my table over time to make it sound better. In a sense, I'm looking for the "honda civic" of turntables. Inexpensive, functioning, customizable and upgradable. Am I asking too much? Any suggestions?

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 54
Sounds like the Technics 1200 would be perfect for you.
Stick a decent cart like a Denon DL-110 on it and it'll sound great out of the box. From there, there are tons of upgrades available as you need them. Check out KAB GREAT SOUND CATALOG http://www.kabusa.com for whats available.

The best thing is they are as reliable as anything, plenty of them around so spares and service are never an issue, and probably undoubtedly the highest build quality deck you'll ever find.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebido /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want to upgrade from my parents old table to something modern and better functioning. ?

What is your parents old table? just because it's old doesn't always mean it's necessarily going to be easily bettered by a modern turntable. Most old decks have one thing going for them which is very expensive today and that's good old fashioned build quality. Remember a record player is mostly a mechanical device so big and old and heavy are often good attributes. It may well be worth servicing and upgrading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would really like everybodies suggestions on a starter table. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive but sounds good. I also really like the idea of putting working, time and money into my table over time to make it sound better. In a sense, I'm looking for the "honda civic" of turntables. Inexpensive, functioning, customizable and upgradable. Am I asking too much? Any suggestions?

I'd 2nd the Technics mentioned above which is actually pretty much a vintage turntable at a knocked down price as the design hasn't altered since the 1970s. Try picking one up t o feel the weight compared to the modern me-too knock-offs you'll see sitting next to it in any pro-audio or DJ store. Here is one of many recent threads about the pros and cons of the various upgrade paths http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/tec...47/index8.html

This is a pretty straightforward candidate for tweaking so if you want something a little more challenging and perhaps enjoy woodworking then I'd look for a classic Thorens or Lenco or maybe even a vintage US made deck like Rek-o-Kut, Empire or AR (AR Turntable Gallery Photos Vinyl Nirvana)

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 54
While the technics is a really great table and a great option, I simply can't abide having a DJ table sitting atop my beautiful hi-fi altar. I am shallow and have problems, clearly.

Should you be anything like me, you might be interested in my choice: the Rega P3-24.

Lots of upgrades, and looks like a hi-fi turntable. I'm a fan.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 54
The Rega P3-24 is a great deck and with the TTPSU and the Groovetracer subplatter even more so. A cheaper (slightly) option that arguably sounds even better is a Technics SL1210 (the black one, so it looks more HiFi) with an Origin Live armbase, OL VTA adjuster, OL RB250 arm with structural mod and cardas re-wire, the KAB strobe disabler mod and a good thick rubber mat and record clamp also from KAB.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 54
Honestly, if you want the Honda Civic..then a Technics 1200 and a nice Denon dl-103 cart is the way to go. Seriously you won't need to upgrade unless you want to spend considerably more money. Looks aside, the sound is to die for.

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the technics is a really great table and a great option, I simply can't abide having a DJ table sitting atop my beautiful hi-fi altar. I am shallow and have problems, clearly.

Are you prejudiced against audio tools used by certain members of our community and the manner by which they earn a living? If success is based on level of sales, then the 1200 is the best TT ever built.

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 54
I'd recommend the Rega Planar 3/P3 series. There's an entire cottage industry of mods and tweaks for Regas.

I started out with a Planar 3 a couple years ago and loved it. A good friend has (and loves) it now - it's been entirely reliable.

I like the 1200 alright, my cousin has one. The 1200 sounds good, but not better than the Planar 3.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1200 sounds good, but not better than the Planar 3.

You kidding, right? Are you comparing them with the same arm and cartridge fitted? I bet you don't.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 54
The Rega is more of a plug and play turntable for people who want a simple stylish way to get into vinyl and don't mind paying good money for it. Everything about the Rega design upto the 3 point mounting for their carts, which ensure perfect alignment without the hastle of faffing around with protractors, is designed to take the pain out of playing records. They set the budget turntable standard basically.

If you want something which offers value for money which you can upgrade yourself then the Technics is a better new option but if you really want the best bang for buck and are prepared to put the effort in to renovate then vintage is the way to go no question.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 54
How is the Rega more plug'n'play than the Technics????

How long does it take you to play a 45 RPM record on the Rega? You just press a button on the Technics.

The 3 point Rega mounting ONLY works with Rega cartridges which are expensive and not that great IMHO.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgame666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the Rega more plug'n'play than the Technics????

Plug and play in terms of sound quality rather than user friendliness which is what most people here would be interesting in vinyl for these days I'd guess.

The Rega is a fully formed out of the box solution. It doesn't really require or warrant that much upgrading because there are simply better engineered decks which you can get for the price of doing this. It's designed as a budget deck but it's expensive in the US because the international currency exchange rates have been high in the last few years ( how long will it take to reflect the current falls in Sterling I wonder?)....

The Technics is an alltogether different animal, essentially a 1970s vintage turntable which has been frozen in time because it's particular attributes made it ideal for DJs. It's Japanese '70s Hi-Fi engineering quality is far superior to the block of chipboard that forms the Rega.

However it's woefully let down by it's tonearm which was pretty mediocre when it came out and is now completely outclassed by more recent designs like the Rega RB250/300. See a recent thread on this here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/tec...grades-366309/

The solution of course is to combine the superb Technics motorboard with the market leading Rega tonearm as advocated by Origin Live

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 54
I believe the Rega's are way overpriced for a slab of MDF and a motor that runs slightly fast. Dont be fooled by the Rega arms that everyone touts just because it is cheap, like I've said before I know a MFR of audio equipment that took an RB-300 apart and measured the bearings, his conclusion was that the Rega arm due to the bearings was more than subpar, the bearings would stick causing less than smooth tracking. The anti skate spring in the arm also creates problems and the wiring is also subpar. I am not trying to slam the Rega arm I am just reporting the findings of this MFR, and please don't ask who the MFR is. The Technics arm may be no better than the Rega but the wiring in this arm is junk and should be replaced with something like Cardas. The problem is there are very few arms available in the budget price catagory. My money would go for a Jelco arm from Japan, they can be had straight from the MFR at around the price of a Rega.

As far as a Table goes I would also recommend the Technics SL-1200, there is not a lot of competition under the $800.00 mark, I would also go with a Denon cart to add some body, I have found the platter mat to make a big difference also, I used a Achromat on my 1200 and it added a nice lively quality to the music, combined with a Denon 110 or 103 I got very nice sound. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Good luck.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the Rega's are way overpriced for a slab of MDF and a motor that runs slightly fast.

I'd agree with you that the Rega decks are way too expensive in the USA but to be fair no more so than any other turntables these days. What I would be more curious about is how come they still manage to be cheaper than homegrown US models from manufacturers like Sota, who don't have the issue of inflated currency exchange rates to contend with. In the UK Rega decks were basically half the price that they were in the USA which makes sense because until the recent financial crash it was almost 2 dollars to the pound, which obviously makes life pretty difficult for UK exporters.

Quote:

Dont be fooled by the Rega arms that everyone touts just because it is cheap, like I've said before I know a MFR of audio equipment that took an RB-300 apart and measured the bearings, his conclusion was that the Rega arm due to the bearings was more than subpar, the bearings would stick causing less than smooth tracking.

Rega arms are cheap because they are mass produced. The reason they are so well regarded is the superior one piece molded design, not any of the individual elements which have obviously been improved upon by Origin Live and Michel amongst others. They are simply better by design and measurabley so by an order of magnitude if you look in the link I posted above so there really isn't much scope for contention here. Don't know what your friend is on about frankly.

Quote:

The problem is there are very few arms available in the budget price catagory. My money would go for a Jelco arm from Japan, they can be had straight from the MFR at around the price of a Rega.

QED. The reason why there is so little competition in this end of the market is precisely because the Rega arms are so good that they have obliterated it to the extent where they have become almost ubiquitous.

Jelco are still a pretty traditional manufacturer whose arms mainly appeal to Japanese nostalgics. They are probably better made than the Technics SL1200MKII stock one but not by that much. The only other company which offers a modern design anywhere near this end of the market is Pro-Ject and they arn't all that cheap either. You have to pay a lot to beat a Rega arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back