Help Choosing A Flagship
Dec 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ericfarrell85

Member of the Trade: WoodWarmth Products
I'm finally ready to work on my desktop setup. My original plan was to work on a portable setup and after coming to a semblance of satisfaction transition to a home setup. Well, I was satisfied with the CK10, then the SM3, EX1000 and finally wound up going the multiple custom route. Typical headfi tale, but I have learned a few things along the way. For instance, there is no such thing as a best headphone, but there are genre-superior headphones. I prefer a $75 pair of fun, technically sloppy Eternas to a $1000 UM Miracle when listening to a band called TV On the Radio. When it comes to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D the Miracle (w/Stepdance) are unlike anything I've ever heard - that experience alone is almost worth the price of admission. So, I now need help from those experienced headfiers that can share their flagship experiences with my music interests.

Current desktop setup: Nuforce HDP/W4S Dac 1 (Auditioning) > Zana Deux > HD650. My jazz/blues/bluegrass/Tom Waits and acoustic needs are satisfied with this setup. Now I need something for rock, but of the indie variant. I keep hearing about the LCD-2 and what they do for Zeppelin, ACDC and 70's rock generally. On the whole I don't listen to anything so hard - I'd be more likely to head bang to a hypersensitive Cat Stevens. So I'd prefer to know how the LCD's (and other flagships) do with the likes of: The National, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, The Fiery Furnaces, The Walkmen, Bon Iver, Wild Beasts, Wilco, etc..., - the bands that make pitchfork writers gyrate in their experimental garters, waxing pseudo-poetic about. I will say that for the bands mentioned I use the CK10's/DBA's almost exclusively - preferring speed and sizzle over say thick and lush. Not incidentally I have wondered if there was a CK10 in a bigger body (RS1 maybe??). Any thoughts would very much be appreciated.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 3
honestly I'd be satisfied with the 650 for any genre. At least as far as I'm concerned there's a certain balance with cans that I generally prefer across all genres. not sure if you really need separate indie rock cans. I'd rather just save for some upgrades than buy another pair of similarly priced cans in the same price range.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 3
Well in that case i quite envy you and the simplicity of your rig. Unfortunately I find most headphones very genre/recording specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back