Help choosing a DAP
Apr 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JRG1990

Headphoneus Supremus
I need 120gb minimum storage , half decent U.I with folder browsing , ideally a line-out or line out dock or something.
Budget is <£250 . I am considering the ARCHOS 70 250 GB Internet Tablet but it doesn't have a line-out.
Any other suggestions?. . 

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 21
From what I have heard the Archos Internet Tablets are not so good; their firmware is know to be crap. Don't know much about their SQ, on the otherhand.
Apart from the Archos the only hight storage capacity DAP is the iPod Classic series with 160GB (or 80/120GB on the older versions).
Line out dock is easily accessible for iPod, and the only problems with iPod are its price and its incapability of playing FLAC.

Otherwise it is possible to get the 120GB you need by taking a Sansa Clip+ and buying three 32GB microSD's, but that might run you a similar price (or even higher) than the 160GB iPod.

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 21
Cowon X7 120Gb 160GB, Zune 120GB and Iriver.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 21
My problem with the ipod classic is it doesn't have folder browsing it uses tags and my music isn't tagged properly and I can't be bother to tag it all properly, the cowon X7 has no line out and is the same price as the much more featured ARCHOS 70,  I can't find the zune or iriver to buy here in the uk.
The Archos 70 is meant to be much better than the Archos 5, sound quality wise the Archos uses a Wolfson WM8988 and is meant to sound way better than the Sansa Clip+ .

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 21
My problem with the ipod classic is it doesn't have folder browsing it uses tags and my music isn't tagged properly and I can't be bother to tag it all properly, the cowon X7 has no line out and is the same price as the much more featured ARCHOS 70,  I can't find the zune or iriver to buy here in the uk.
The Archos 70 is meant to be much better than the Archos 5, sound quality wise the Archos uses a Wolfson WM8988 and is meant to sound way better than the Sansa Clip+ .

I personally think it's good practice to DO tag everything as your library is simply way more organized when you do. This is regardless of which DAP you use.
So what you could also do is use foobar2000 to automatically tag everything based on the directories of the files. But nota bene that this requires some (very) basic scripting skills, and can be a pain if you have never done anything of the like before.

If you don't want to do this a Archos 70 might be a good idea. I don't know much about it, but I do know from earlier research (over a year ago) that the Archos 5 is not such a good idea to buy.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:

I doubt that it does. I hear that it is a fine tablet for tablet-type use, much better than the Archos 5, but Archos was never known for their great SQ. I hear the newest models are getting better, though.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 21
I'm selling my Archos 70it 250GB in the Head-Fi classifieds: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/550758/archos-70it-250gb-for-sale

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 21
I too am looking for a top quality (SQ-wise) DAP to partner my Monster MDT and JVC FX700 IEMs. I already own an iPhone 4 (with Equ app) and Rockbox'd Clip +.
I have a pretty high end single-ended valve hifi at home, tone and timbre are important attributes to me.
Having owned a RSA Shadow with LOD in the past i'm looking for something with comparable audio quality and drive, without having to resort to carrying around a portable amp.

I am considering  the following DAPs at the moment, but i've not heard any of them and am unsure what would be the best solution:

Hifiman HM601 - Supposedly sounds great and I like the digital out, but worried out reliability from some comments i've read.

Sony X Series - Looks great, but a bit expensive to buy new or used (considering they're no longer a current model).

Cowon J3 and S9 - Like the BBE EQ, battery life and HDSC card slot. Good reputation for SQ. Does the larger capacity X7 sound as good?

Nationite N2 and SFlo2 - The N2 has a low price, portable and supposedly powerful with good sound. Does it really compare to the other players on my list SQ-wise? Can't seem to find a SFlo2 to buy online ATM.

Is there anything else I should consider - what would you go for please?

Thanks

Phil

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 21
I too am looking for a top quality (SQ-wise) DAP to partner my Monster MDT and JVC FX700 IEMs. I already own an iPhone 4 (with Equ app) and Rockbox'd Clip +.
Having owned a RSA Shadow with LOD in the past i'm looking for something with comparable audio quality and drive, without having to resort to carrying around a portable amp.
I am considering  the following DAPs at the moment, but i've not heard any of them and i'm unsure what would be the best solution:

Hifiman HM601 - Supposedly sounds great and I like the digital out, but worried out reliability from some comments i've read.

Sony X Series - Looks great, a bit expensive used considering they're no longer a current model.

Cowon J3 and S9 - Like the BBE EQ, battery life and HDSC card slot.

Nationite N2 - Cheap price, portable and supposedly powerful with good sound. Does it really compare to the other players on my list SQ-wise?

Is there anything else I should consider - what would you go for please?

Thanks

Phil

I was interested in the HiFiMAN 601 too, until I read that the SQ is not that great at all.

They use non-oversampling DAC's which they claim is a good thing, but I don't. Because the frequency response of the 601 is not exactly, well... flat.

But it's your funeral. Some people think it sounds great (which I personally point to a placebo), and that's their opinion.
I think it's overpriced, and hyped 'audiophile' DAP that claims to be good by its price tag.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 21
I personally wouldnt go for Hifiman either because of its NOS DAC. NOS dac technology is old, simple, and very obsolete for a good reason. The very necessary treble filter being one of them, resulting in rolled off treble. Thats why OS DAC was designed in the first place. I dont understand why it still exists. Some people like the rolled off sound but I can use EQ for pretty much same effect.

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 21
If someone gave me a HifiMan player....I would sell it. If I wanted to hear overpriced old tech, I'd look around for a mint condition 8-track player.
cool.gif

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 21
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a new Cowon J3 now - do they live up to the hype (when using the EQ)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back