Help choosing a DAP
Apr 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 21

Quote:
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a new Cowon J3 now - do they live up to the hype (when using the EQ)?

Yes, if you can mess around with EQ and extra's and come up with the right sound for your IEM's/headphones it is excellent

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #17 of 21
All the new Cowon DAP's have the same SQ and equalizer settings, including the BBE+ & Mach3 Bass. Get the X7 if a lower res resistive screen isn't an issue for you. Or, get the J3 if you'd be happy w/64GB of total memory (32GB internal+32GB external microSDHC) - the screen is capacitive BTW.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #18 of 21
Thanks, i'm pretty sold on the Cowons now.

I have just been offered a used Sony X1060 32GB for £50 less than a new 32GB J3. Which would you go for?
I am thinking the new Cowon - the battery may be nearing the end of its life on a used DAP and there'll be no warranty. I don't believe the X series battery is easily changed either.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
Thanks, i'm pretty sold on the Cowons now.

I have just been offered a used Sony X1060 32GB for £50 less than a new 32GB J3. Which would you go for?
I am thinking the new Cowon - the battery may be nearing the end of its life on a used DAP and there'll be no warranty. I don't believe the X series battery is easily changed either.

Does the sony have an expandable memory slot? Here are the criteria you should use to check against the Sony (since these are the cowon's strengths:

1) 60+ hours of battery life
2) Expandable memory slot
3) 39 eq presets plus 4 custom eq slots with BBE and other sound enhancements
4) Tactile buttons
5) Amoled screen 
6) File compatibility that includes mp4, ogg, Flac etc
7) Tactile buttons 
8) User created UI's which can greatly improve the users experience (such as making playlists)

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #20 of 21
32GB J3 ordered - should be here on Wednesday. Can't wait to try it. I reckon the EQ settings will take a lot of trial by error to get right though.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
32GB J3 ordered - should be here on Wednesday. Can't wait to try it. I reckon the EQ settings will take a lot of trial by error to get right though.

There is no right and wrong......only what sounds good to your ears.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back