HELP! Buying HD 598 or DT 990 Premium (32 ohm)
Dec 16, 2011 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tier One

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am really new when it comes to more "high end headphones" (high end to me at least)

I am looking to order one of the two in the title tonight. I have Tritton ax 720's now and hate them. I will be mostly using the headphones for Xbox gaming both casually and competitively at tourneys, also I will use them with my Ipod and PC. When I game casually i am typically playing games like Skyrim and Battlefield 3, when it comes to competitive gaming I play FPS games like MW2 and MW3 where I need the large soundstage to hear ninja pro and other small noises usually not heard with TV sound which I can slightly make out in some situations with my 720's.

For music, I listen to ALOT of genres, Dubstep (Skrillex and Deadmau5), Some rock/punk (Blink-182, and whatever is popular at the time) Some rap (Mac Miller, Wiz, or Wayne) some forms of accustic music as well but not too much. To me it sounds as if I need balanced headphones that do not focus to heavily on bass or treble. But I do not know if that is what I really need or which pair can cater to me which is why I am asking all of you.

Thanks,

Zack

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
To me it sounds as if I need balanced headphones that do not focus to heavily on bass or treble.

If you want that, buy HD598.

DT990 = V shaped sound, big bass, recessed midrange and harsh treble.

HD598 is much more for easy listening, but maybe DT990 ll be better for game.

Personally i prefer much more HD598.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 5
The DT990s have good directionality, but HD598 is better at that.

Your predicament is that what you want from games, and you want from music will lead you to both headphones. Honestly, the perfect marriage of both headphones is the DT880. The HD598 won't satisfy you with your genres of music, and the DT990 won't beat the HD598 for competitive gaming. The DT880 will do both well.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
The DT990s have good directionality, but HD598 is better at that.
Your predicament is that what you want from games, and you want from music will lead you to both headphones. Honestly, the perfect marriage of both headphones is the DT880. The HD598 won't satisfy you with your genres of music, and the DT990 won't beat the HD598 for competitive gaming. The DT880 will do both well.

Thanks, your gaming headphone thread is actually one of the few things I have been using for reference. About the 880's, do you mean the pros or the premiums because I saw the pros for much cheaper than the premiums but at different ohms. I really don't know anything about ohms like the difference between 32, 250, and 600. Also I don't have a desktop amp or anything all that I would be using is the Turtle Beach DSS or the Astro Mixamp if those are even considered amps and just plugging the 3.5 into my iphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back