Help! Broke Tip On Vacuum Tube - Problems?
Jan 31, 2008 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

incognitoedleon

500+ Head-Fier
I just broke a small piece of the tip of the tube on my phono preamp (Bellari VP129 if it matters). This may be a very dumb question, but does the tip of have any structural importance? Could a cracked/damaged tube damage the amplifier? At the moment, it appears to function fine. I just would like to know if the tube should be replaced right away and if there's any risk in continuing to use it.

The type of tube it uses is a 7025/12AX7A seen here. That tinier glass part at the tip on the top is what I broke off.
16auzhe.jpg

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 10
well, if that crack extends into the vacuum section of the tube then yes that would render it useless because there would be no more vacuum

continuing to use it after that could possibly damage the amp

i wouldn't use it anymore as the crack could extend further and break the vacuum, especially while heating up/cooling down the glass becomes fragile

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, even if you managed to fracture the tip without ridding the tube of its vacuum, the 20 or so dollars you'd spend for a replacement could be considered a worthy investment as you wouldn't run the risk of damaging your amp further. Peace of mind, in other words, really is priceless.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 10
If you broke only the tip and there is no more cracks associated, (I had some tubes like that for years with no problems) but make sure it was only the tip that broke, IMO there should be no more problems, but if there is a crack, well chances are that while heating/cooling the tube it will break...if it is a good tube I owuld take the chances, if itis current production tube, do not bother and replace it....the 12AX7 is very common tube and you cna find easily a replacement for it...

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the info! There aren't any cracks, but since it's a cheapie new production tube, I'll get it replaced. I was just hoping to safely use this one til the replacement arrives. I suppose it's not worth the risk.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 10
I bought a pair of 6s19p-v tubes about 10 months ago from a fellow head-fi member, one arrived with the nub broken off and the tube ended up being noisy also. Not sure if that is typical, but it’s the only tube I have which is noisy like that (sort of a hiss that never goes away).

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 10
If you fall on the sharp broken tip, well it wouldn't be pretty.

I have used tubes for years and would use it but that is my many years of experience and I don't have your tube in hand. I would also stick it in a tube tester and just let it sit there, which would put current on the filament, heat the tube up and so on and so forth. If just the tip no big deal but if you aren't sure then as you have stated, just get a new tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back