Help!! Best IEM for classical music?
Aug 14, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #16 of 30
Triflanges generally get good feedback. Common issues are fit and comfort, but when you do get a good fit, the seal makes the sound fuller - but could get too bloated. Otherwise, it can contribute to the best SQ among the other universal/stock options (silicion, foam)

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avoid Shure E500/E530, it is hard to set proper volume: you rise it to hear quiet cello solo and then crescendo deafen you.

No offense, but this means essentially ruling out a headphone because it presents acoustic dynamics the way they occur in a real classical concert. I've read a couple of reasons why the SE530 is not for classical, but this one is new to me.

Apart from that I'd say get the IE8 with its phantastic soundstage and reduce the 80-100Hz region by a few decibels with a good EQ (e.g. Rockbox), then it'd be also neutral enough for classical music. Less hassle than getting the Etys plus amp IMO.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seal fine with the tri-flanges and get plenty of bass. The bass is enough to cause minor headaches on very bassy tracks, but fortunately they never add bass that might get in the way, especially in delicately complex passages.

To tri-flanges supporters: I also thought that tri-flanges are good until I tried custom and gliders. Both custom and gliders are really outstanding and very special in terms of SQ. No other tips stay close to these though I tried many.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense, but this means essentially ruling out a headphone because it presents acoustic dynamics the way they occur in a real classical concert.

Real concert sound varies depending on your seats. Few seats provide this huge dynamic range (DR) like Shure E500 does. But I may agree that there are persons whose ears/brains are trained for wider DR. So my recommendation should be taken with grain of salt.

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Both custom and gliders are really outstanding and very special in terms of SQ.

Interesting. I'll consider one or either if they can magically improve the soundstage. Everything else about the ER-4 is paradigm.

Also, the P will not need an amp and will also be more versatile (you can upconvert to the S with a simple attachment).

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Real concert sound varies depending on your seats. Few seats provide this huge dynamic range (DR) like Shure E500 does. But I may agree that there are persons whose ears/brains are trained for wider DR. So my recommendation should be taken with grain of salt.

Ok, got it. In fact I like a huge dynamic range in headphones as well as live concerts, though I admit that extreme volume changes can be quite unsettling when caught off guard.
eek.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #22 of 30
This from left field: UE Super.fi 5 EB.

I'm absolutely shocked just how much I'm enjoying these right now with some string quartets. Symphonic Dances on Reference Recordings also sounded warm, alive and wonderful. The impact of the drums. Wow!

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 30
I am a 95% classical listener, bought the er-4p some six months ago and have not looked back since. I admit that this my only experience of IEM of this calibre so I do not know what I may be missing out on (Audeo? RE0?) I was never really happy with the tri-flanges, and have found that the gliders (a bit uncomfortable in my ears) and shure olives gives me exactly the right amount of bass needed for big romantic works. I got a Meier Audio Headsix recently (the synergy with this warm sounding little thing is simply wonderful!), and am now considering going all the way and get a P to S converter.

One caveat though, everything you read about ER-4 and microphonics is true, so I would recommend ER-4 only as a (mainly) sit-down IEM. For on-the-go use, I would get an IEM that is easier to fit over the ear (it can be done with er-4, I know, but looks a bit goofy) to reduce microphonics.

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #25 of 30
Thanks for your replys.
Does it worth to buy an amp to use the S than just buy the P and listen it directly?
If it really does please recommend some amps that is not too much expensive.(I don't want to pay more than $400 for all if possible.)
So how about UM3X compare with the ER-4 in term of SQ?
PS. what is glider and custom tips? I'm nw to IEM

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apart from that I'd say get the IE8 with its phantastic soundstage and reduce the 80-100Hz region by a few decibels with a good EQ (e.g. Rockbox), then it'd be also neutral enough for classical music. Less hassle than getting the Etys plus amp IMO.

I'd second this. The IE8 can be truly excellent for classical once you tone down the bass. Also consider getting customs which help reduce the bass, bring out more detail and increase the soundstage.

I also really don't see the Ety's being that great for classical. I've briefly tried them and the lack of bass is astonishing. Get something which can boost the bass if you get the Ety's

The phonak audeo PFE is also supposed to be balanced and detailed (and cheap). Consider those.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd second this. The IE8 can be truly excellent for classical once you tone down the bass. Also consider getting customs which help reduce the bass, bring out more detail and increase the soundstage.

I also really don't see the Ety's being that great for classical. I've briefly tried them and the lack of bass is astonishing. Get something which can boost the bass if you get the Ety's

The phonak audeo PFE is also supposed to be balanced and detailed (and cheap). Consider those.

Hey, thanks for support! I almost found myself overrun by Ety lovers..
wink.gif

But then again, I have the CK100 which are said to have Ety like detail & highs plus more bass, and even them I'm not so fond of with classical music.

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare ER-4 to RE0?

Check the review link in my sig.

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bankung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your replys.
Does it worth to buy an amp to use the S than just buy the P and listen it directly?
If it really does please recommend some amps that is not too much expensive.(I don't want to pay more than $400 for all if possible.)
PS. what is glider and custom tips? I'm nw to IEM

The best amp for ER-4P/S I listened is XIN Supermicro. It is very rare and out of production, I hunted FS: forums for 6 monts to get it. There are some people who recommend MiniBox E+ ($225, www.head-direct.com) over Supermicro for ER-4P/S. It has P-to-S switch embedded so you may get ER-4P for unamped use and amp lets you to turn it into ER-4S without additional cables. It also has bass boost option which is nice for Ety. Search here for its reviews. If you get other amp, I recommend to get ER-4P + P-to-S converter cable ($45, www.etymotic.com) for versatility.

Gliders are the universal tips available at www.etymotic.com, they are nice sounding, bassy, ugly and scratchy. Custom are the tips shaped for your own ears - nice sounding, comfortable, ugly and expensive. Check www.hearyourself.com for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back