HELP! Best Emotional Albums of Female Vocals?
Oct 15, 2001 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi! I'm trying to find music for my mom's birthday! I knew she was big on emotional female vocals, so, seeing as how the type of music she likes is the type of music that you all use to test midrange, I might be able to find some good female vocals recommendations here..... heheh.

Anyways, last time I went with my guts and got her some female vocals, I got her that one Nancy Bryan XRCD (just because it was the one "Rock" XRCD or something), and it turned out great! So, I need more music like that.

Some of the things on her wish list are Susan Vega, Alison Krauss, Charlotte Church, Enya, those kinds of things. Now, seeing as how I don't know QUITE what she has, and QUITE what she wants, I need as mucn info about this type of music as I can get. Can anyone help, give me some more things to maybe get her?

Oct 15, 2001 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 27
If she likes classical, you could try Cecilia Bartoli. Her Mozart work is pretty nice.

Oct 15, 2001 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 27
Try Beth Orton, Central Reservation.

Oct 15, 2001 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 27
Loreena McKinnet - Book of Secrets

Oct 15, 2001 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 27
Eva Cassidy- Songbird (good one to start with)

Eva's work has a very broad appeal. Spare and tasteful arrangements supporting a 4.5 octave voice. She had an an ability to get to the emotional core of a song better than almost anyone else I've heard.

Oct 15, 2001 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 27
pigmode, it's from my favorite short story of all time. I can't tell if your sig is quoting Coleridge or Citizen Kane...

Back to the topic, I might also suggest Etta James.

Oct 15, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 27
Let me add Sarah McLachlan to the list...

Oct 15, 2001 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 27
Jann Arden, Canadian artist.

Oct 15, 2001 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 27
Mary- Chapin Carpenter, Come On Come On. It is kinda country pop, but 6 hit singles came off this album and I think it got a grammy too. Also a very good recording, sound-wise. Hell, I love this album too.

Oct 16, 2001 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 27
Wow...no one has mentioned PJ Harvey. She gets my vote without a doubt.

Also, if your mum can handle the triphop thing, Portishead is pretty cool. Beth's (I think that's her name) vocals are very haunting.

And one outta left-field would be Thalia Zedek, quite husky & rough, but very emotive IMHO.

I agree with the Suzanne Vega and Beth Orton rec's, maybe even Kate Bush??

sm
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2001 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 27
I forgot to mention the Sundays and 10,000 Maniacs.

Oct 16, 2001 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 27
One of the best "emotional" female vocalists is Diana Krall in my opinion. She has one of the best female voices I've ever heard. Try her latest CD "Look of Love" if your mom is not into the Jazz thing. It's more laid back and very soothing.

Also try some Patricia Barber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back