Help: best amp under $500 for k501 and HD600
Jul 28, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak622 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the K501's and HD650 and I find my Gilmore Lite works well with them both. I've also tried them with the DARED MP5, Meier HeadFive, and a PPX slam (i think it was a slam). I would say the PPX worked best with the K501s but due to cost I opted for the Gilmore Lite and I'm quite happy with it..

Thoughts on the HeadFive vs Gilmore Lite with the K501s?

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bismack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just upgrade my CD player to Rega Planet(old version), and I have both K501 and HD600. I only listen to classical music(piano, chamber, and symphonies, etc). Could you please recommend a good amp under $400 for both headphones? I don't care about new or used amps.

Thanks!

The MF X-CanV3 is by far the best amp in the under $500. class.
Have it modded and its neck&neck with most $1000. class amps.
redface.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by badmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thoughts on the HeadFive vs Gilmore Lite with the K501s?

Between the two I prefer the Gilmore Lite with either K501 or HD580. But I preferred the Heed CanAmp to either of those amps. It had a very nice, sweet sound without losing the impression of neutrality, and I found it revealed occasional details that I hadn't picked up with the other two amps.

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Between the two I prefer the Gilmore Lite with either K501 or HD580. But I preferred the Heed CanAmp to either of those amps. It had a very nice, sweet sound without losing the impression of neutrality, and I found it revealed occasional details that I hadn't picked up with the other two amps.

X2 on the Canamp for same reasons. For those who said Hornet: geez, guys, look at what he's pairing it with. Rega Planet>Hornet?????>K510, HD600
confused.gif
I love my Hornet, but it's really not the same as a decent home amp.

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 25
Oh boom, now you've gone and done it. Of course, is it any real shock that the two folks recommending that amp have been here all of a couple of months?

bismack, the best thing you could do is to try and find a local head-fi meet to attend to sample some gear. You've gotten some good suggestions in this thread but no one can tell you how something is going ot sound to your ears.

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 25
I don't own the HD-600, but my Graham Slee Solo sounds really good with both my K-501 and HD-650. Brings out the bass on the AKG really well too.

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh boom, now you've gone and done it. Of course, is it any real shock that the two folks recommending that amp have been here all of a couple of months?

bismack, the best thing you could do is to try and find a local head-fi meet to attend to sample some gear. You've gotten some good suggestions in this thread but no one can tell you how something is going ot sound to your ears.

OMG! Seriously sane advice! I wish I'd said that
600smile.gif
(a HD600 smile for you and whatever amp you choose).

Jul 28, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #23 of 25
The performance of the Bada is worth it for me. Waiting 12 hours to change tubes is not much of a price to pay for the sound quality.

Tube rolling with easy to find 6sn7's is a breeze with many newly manufactured tubes or vintage to choose from.

Jul 28, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #24 of 25
Going to a meet and trying gear is a very good sugestion. I only caution you not to get carried away by "meet mentality of got to buy it right now". BTW beside the Heed another great amp is the Channel Island Headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back