Help: Best "all-arounder" Headphones that doesnt need amplication
Aug 14, 2008 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

WiredCon

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy yet another pair of headphones that can be used without an amplication. I've never had a ful-size headphones and am expecting to gain somewhat noticeable improvement over my Shure 530 which I used with macbook pro and iphone.

I want to get a full-size headphones which can be driven easily by my macbook pro without any other hardware involvement.

1. My budget would be around $150-200.
2. Open or closed doesnt matter.
3. Fun sound wanted
4. Movie(50%)/ Music(50%/ mostly jazz and female vocals)

Since I have no idea which phones are easy to drive and their sound signitures, I took a short-cut and decided to bother you guys one more time. Any advices will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 26
You want a $150-$200 headphone to be a noticeable improvement from a $360 IEM? The D2000 and A900 are pretty much your best options, but it's debatable if they are a noticeable improvement from the 530s.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 26
I think a AD700 can be driven from a macbook pro, or maybe a ultrasone HFI-780. But I have a nacbook so I'm not sure. Northernsound.net has the HFI-780 for 161 after you join there club for a one time fee of a dollar.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 26
The A900 is only midfi IMO. D2000s might be the trick if the OP is willing to spend that much. An Alessandro MS1 or a lower Tier Grado may be the budget solution if soundscape isn't so important.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 26
I thought the d2000 a little too boring during the short time I heard it.
However, there are a lot of people who like them, and I think
they're a pretty balanced headphone. +1 for the denons if you can find them at $200.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 26
For an all-rounder in that price range, im enjoying my M-Audio Q40.
Although i love all my other headphones, theyre not as good as an all-rounder as the Q40, and if you can only have one, the fact that theyre closed helps too, but they dont sound closed-in.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 26
Thanks for your advices. I can narrow it down to D2000 and Bose on-ear Triport (I found a brand new pair for $80 and I liked the sound as well).

scytheavatar- To be more specific, I wanted to get a bigger soundstage.

Once again, I thank you all for your kind suggestions.

Regards,
Ryan

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiredCon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your advices. I can narrow it down to D2000 and Bose on-ear Triport (I found a brand new pair for $80 and I liked the sound as well).

scytheavatar- To be more specific, I wanted to get a bigger soundstage.

Once again, I thank you all for your kind suggestions.

Regards,
Ryan

Hi Ryan

I recently autioned the Denon AD1001 against the bose OE's and the Denons were clearly superior, so they could be a good option within your budget as they are available for around $80 from Amazon.

Regards

Simon

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #13 of 26
Triport OE is not going to be an improvement over the SE530. In fact, it will be a step back. It'll have more bass, for sure, but the details will be lost.

HD595 will be a slight step up over the SE530, and it has a somewhat similar sound. More extension in the highs, but less in the bass. It will be smoother in the treble, fuller, but a bit more grainy and less fluid. Still, I preferred the HD595 when I heard it over my E500.

The A900 is similar to the HD595 overall, but with a different sound signature. It will have more extension top and bottom, better performance at the frequency extremes, but also a colder midrange. I'm not too keen on its sound signature and I'm not sure if I would take it over the SE530, but it is technically better IMO. It's also a superb gaming headphone.

The bottom line is, none of them will be a substantial SQ improvement over the SE530.

If you want a substantial improvement, get a Headamp Pico, run it from the USB out of your laptop, and get an HD600. But, that isn't going to fall anywhere near the $200 budget. You're at the point of diminishing marginal returns, and I don't think you'll be able to seriously outdo your SE530 on a $200 budget without an amp.

Oh, and mandatory "gear I haven't heard but going to recommend anyway" comment, since apparently that's the way to fit in these days: Grado SR-225.

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 26
Ah, here it comes again. I promised myself that I won't step into that "headphone amp arena," but I am about to eat up my own words.

After reading these advices, I realize that I want a bit more of punchy bass and a bigger soundstage. And, a little bit more clear, or should I say defined vocals. I guess I somewhat prefer a tad brighter sound over warm and smooth sound for now.

Over all, I want something more than Shure 530. Yes, it is true that Bose's SQ wasn't any better, but I found its more punchy sound fun and engaging.

I could tell Shure 530 is a better phones, but still I found myself having fun listening to Bose's colored sound.

I really appreciate your advices. It helped me to think over what I really want.

Now, I'll look into a full-sized open cans with the SQ that delivers the following traits:

1. More controlled punchy bass (than Shur530)

2. More spacious soundstage (than Shure 530)

3. More clear and defined mid-range (than Shure 530)

4. I'll extend my budget upto $500. Now, anybody want my Shure IEM? :)

I'll study more and try to narrow it down to more suitable candidates. and, if you have any other advices, I'd really appreciate it.

Regards,
Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back