Help! Am I going deaf?
Aug 25, 2008 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LostMoogle

Head-Fier
So I have a pair of HD485s and MS1s. Both are lightly broken in. When I first got my Ms1s the sound was so crisp and clear but now I can't seem to find that same sound. I tried playing the same song on my left with the HD485s and then the MS1s on my right and I can't tell the difference. The 485s have a bit more bass but thats about it. Am I going deaf or something? I rarely blast my music. Perhaps its my source?

Song used: Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm

I used the same song with two files in different combinations. MS1 with 320kbps, 485 with 320kbps, MS1 with 128kbps and 485 with 320 etc.'

Sources: Ipod 3rd gen and a desktop with integrated sound. Both alternated with the combinations of kbps above.

Any ideas?

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 18
It could be that the cans burned in... all the headphones that I've owned (with the exception of electrostatics) sounded way too bright out of the box. Most people consider burn in a good thing, but I could see some people disliking it.

If you're looking for that sound, I guess the only thing you can do is buy a brighter set of cans.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 18
Aug 25, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 18
An amp can certainly tweak the sound, as can cables, but my personal opinion is that if you don't like the sound of your headphones, the best thing to do is buy a different set. Get some DT880 or (if you want really nice cans) GS-1000. Both are plenty bright.

Unfortunately, I've never listened to either of the two you're mentioning, so I can't help you on which is better.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMoogle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GoAlso, people say the MS1s are superior to the hd485, should I feel a difference?

The hd485 are not bad headphones. They're just a small step below the HD580s. They have a very similar sound signature to the HD580, with a little less detail and a little extra bass. I'd pick them any day over the MS1, but I don't like Grados so I'm biased.
duggehsmile.png

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 18
heh yeah. it's a House reference. for those that don't watch the show, it's one of their on going gags (sorta) in the show as his team always rules out Lupus as a possible disease for everything and anything. well, not everything but quite a lot.

that being said, do things sound muffled from time to time? do you find yourself losing balance a lot? is there any constant buzzing in your ear? does it "ring" for no reason at all at odd intervals? does the "ring" alternate between your ears? when people talk does it sound echo-ish like in a concert hall? do you notice any abnormal discharge from your ears? are you sinuses in working order?

if three or more applied to you...go see a doc. you'll need a lumbar puncture, CT scan and let's hope it's not meningitis.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #15 of 18
You are obviously infected by a disease called upgradeitis. Symptoms include a displeasure with your present audio equipment and a craving for a higher audio quality. I am afraid to inform you that the only cure for the disease is to buy a more high end equipment, like the SR225i
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back