Help!!! alternative closed headphones that sound like the fantastic Beyer DT1350
Feb 2, 2012 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

impermanente

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying all sort of headphones to get the sound of the DT1350 in a comfortable and closed high end cans...I am trying the Beyer T70p but the middle range is far from the DTs and the highs in the T70 are really excessive...in few words it is not even close to the DT1350 natural sound. Female voices on the DT1350 are simply amazing...without considering all the strings...I really love these headphones but they just kill me...I bought them then I sent them back and then I bought them again because I missed the amazing sound, I thought that the T70p would have done the trick but NOPE nothing.

I also tried

- SRH840
- DENON D7000 (DT1350 much better (not the soundstage) and these cans don't isolate, people around can clearly hear everything)
- SENNHEISER HD25 - II (the best bass I have ever heard I love these headphones, but the rest of the frequencies is simply uncomparable with the DT1350)
- T70Ps

I ask you guys out there a close alternative at least with the same magnificient middle range of the DT1350

Possible alternatives:

Sony Z1000??
Beyerdynamic T5P (my God really expensive)
V-moda?? (are them comfortable headphones??)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 15
Both the V-Moda M80 and V80 are probably the most comfortable on-ear headphones I have listened to.  They fit better than the DT1350 and sound just a tad less detailed.  For $200 US the V80/M80 is a great can.  I place it between the HD-25-1-ii and the DT1350.  The M80 remains my best in class for the sub $250 market and I never hesitate suggesting them.

The T5p was not impressive at all and I would shy away from them.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 15
thanks guys...

to killmurer... because they KILL me, after half an hour my ears go red and I want to cry :), but the sound is AMAZING!! After I found the sweet spot (accidentally!!) I am literally addicted to their sound...the sweet spot is ways towards the back of my ears, so it wasn't obvious to spot..I find myself laughing like a stupid man because during some music passages I couldn't believe they could sound so amazingly

I think many people out there are not aware how good they sound because they didn't get the sweet spot

I even suspect that the guys at beyerdynamic are not fully aware of what they did, well now I guess they are starting to understand...it is just amazing how bad other expensive cans sound comparing to them...

to NA Blur  I also was thinking about the V-moda, could you explain in more details what you mean by a "tad less detailed" what about comparing the v-moda with the astonishing transparency, the bottomless super impact and super controlled bass, the absolutely absence of sibilance and hiss in human voices (especially women) of the DT1350

probably I am a bit exaggerating, at the end of the day they are just cans :), but the thing is that never in the past I felt those incredible live musical sensations no matter how expensive were other headphones

OMG the DT1350 are like a woman!! :) they give you load of pleasure but at the same time they make you suffer :) ok now I am really exaggerating :)

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 15
When I did my brief A/B/C comparison between the Senn HD-25-1-ii, V-Moda V80, and DT1350 it was a three rung ladder.  The Senn HD were at the base being somewhat clunky in tangibility and oddly weighted.  The sound was nice, but when you go to the DT1350 or V80 from the HD 25 you can easily hear improvement in both the low end and clarity.  The V80 had deeper bass, slightly cleaner mids as well as having a more fluid transition between bass to treble.  The DT1350 was more detailed in that it gave better separation in instrumentation than the other two and sounder clearer.  I heard a little more reverb on the bass kick drum with the DT1350 as well as less roll of toward the 9k Hz mark.  The 1350 had more sparkle listening to bells and chimes compared to the other two.  I think both the 1350 and V80 are amazing headphones and very appropriately placed in their price points.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
When I did my brief A/B/C comparison between the Senn HD-25-1-ii, V-Moda V80, and DT1350 it was a three rung ladder.  The Senn HD were at the base being somewhat clunky in tangibility and oddly weighted.  The sound was nice, but when you go to the DT1350 or V80 from the HD 25 you can easily hear improvement in both the low end and clarity.  The V80 had deeper bass, slightly cleaner mids as well as having a more fluid transition between bass to treble.  The DT1350 was more detailed in that it gave better separation in instrumentation than the other two and sounder clearer.  I heard a little more reverb on the bass kick drum with the DT1350 as well as less roll of toward the 9k Hz mark.  The 1350 had more sparkle listening to bells and chimes compared to the other two.  I think both the 1350 and V80 are amazing headphones and very appropriately placed in their price points.

Very nice thanks I thought exactly the same about the HD-25-II that I can actually compare with the DT1350 (the HD are on sell because of this)...I think I'll give a try to these Vmoda, do you know something about the sony Z1000?

On another note having heard what the DT1350 can do, I think much more expensive headphones are relly overpriced..

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 15
If I were you, I would strongly consider the ATH-ES9WA.......Better in any regard than any of these, a little lite on the base - but awesome in every other regard - and very nice looking....Think about it, also on a good sale now on Am $ 229

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
If I were you, I would strongly consider the ATH-ES9WA.......Better in any regard than any of these, a little lite on the base - but awesome in every other regard - and very nice looking....Think about it, also on a good sale now on Am $ 229

oh yeah I heard about it, they look really nice, could you describe how are the highs and the middle comparing with the DT1350, it is hard to think that they better in any regard the DT1350, what about the comfort...

Did you hear about the ATH-ES10? more expensive

cheers

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
You need to read this thread...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-98-portable-headphones-reviewed-sony-mdr-pq2-and-philips-oneill-sho9560-added-01-02-12

Joker has reviewed most of the portable over-ears that have been mentioned here so far.

done already...he scores the audio quality of the senn HD 25 at 9, now I am not saying they are not good sounding headphones, but I think that the clarity of the DT1350 is another planet comparing with the HD 25...so prbably me and him don't have the same HRTF ? :)

I'd like some closed (good isolation for people around) comfortable headphones with the same amazing clarity (resolution) and absence of sibilance as the DT1350, even if around ear,

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 15
The scores are clearly his subjective opinion, but his descriptions of the sonic characteristics are objective and pretty spot on from the headphones I've heard from his reviews. The HD25 definitely isn't going to give you what you are looking for though. Edition 8?
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 15
...I would be scared to wear them...ways too pricey, I see that you own them how do you find acoustic instruments and timbre, it is that clear and transparent?

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 15
It's a tough order finding something that sounds as good in a closed circumaural headphone, as the supra aural on-ear DT1350 is one of the flattest, tightest, most dynamic, and most resolving headphones. Takes a little while for the pads to warm up on you to seal properly, and they're not comfortable for everyone. You also can't expect to move them on and off the ears frequently like the HD25 and get a consistent sound, so they're more a dedicated listening and critical console mixing headphone rather than a live DJ headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back