Help a student with research, bask in self-satisfaction!
Nov 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bizzel

1000+ Head-Fier
As we roll firmly into Autumn it's the time of year when students across the UK are drinking heavily working hard on their dissertation research. My research this year is on drawing applications that work in true 3D (think cinema style on a small scale) and the user interfaces that we use to interact with them. I'm trying to ascertain the level of awareness of certain technologies that are already out there so I have a short survey - 12 questions, all multiple choice - that I'm seeking input on. I imagine you could breeze through it in a couple of minutes if you tried.

http://www.paulbeesley.com/stereosketch-survey

If you could take a look it'd be greatly appreciated - I'm having trouble getting a wide enough spread of ages and genders to make the results valid.

Many thanks,

Paul

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 8
I took it, although being a young male I don't know if I help your diversity very much. I faked my contact info. But it said it was okay!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 8
Done.  Good luck on your dissertation.  Is this for a PhD program?

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
As we roll firmly into Autumn it's the time of year when students across the UK are drinking heavily working hard on their dissertation research. My research this year is on drawing applications that work in true 3D (think cinema style on a small scale) and the user interfaces that we use to interact with them. I'm trying to ascertain the level of awareness of certain technologies that are already out there so I have a short survey - 12 questions, all multiple choice - that I'm seeking input on. I imagine you could breeze through it in a couple of minutes if you tried.

http://www.paulbeesley.com/stereosketch-survey

If you could take a look it'd be greatly appreciated - I'm having trouble getting a wide enough spread of ages and genders to make the results valid.

Many thanks,

Paul

Submitted

I have a few hopefully useful comments on your survey design.

1. Question 3 : It is hard to delineate between the first three selections, how do you know what category you fall into, also I use computers at least 8 hours a day in a "professional" capacity but I am in academe teaching IS/IT, would I be category 3 or 4, I am no a programmer (any more) so not a heavy duty CS or even DP type. Is occaisional a daily web browser/facebook user, perhaps a question about hours per day usage ?

2. A No answer to exposure to 3D should skip the next question, what if they msitakenly give a contradictory answer ?

3. gesture question 1 : Add a none of the above option ! I wanted to say move positon

4. gesture question 2 : Add a none of the above option ! I wanted to say zoom

You could add a comments box to allow survey takers to say what they think the gestures mean, forcing users to make a choice when they agree with none will bias the survey and your data will be less useful, actually a comments box is a decent idea it on most questions as it would give you richer data, especially if this is an HCI survey.

Good Luck !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back